Tips for office work

Options
c4thyg
c4thyg Member Posts: 542
Hi everyone,

Firstly sorry I haven't been around in a long time. I had so much trouble logging in a year ago that I gave up and now it seems to work fine again.

Anyway, as some of you might remember, I'm not working at the moment but after 3 years out of work and being a single parent I am now about to be forced to look for work as my daughter turns 5 next week. I've had a couple of interviews but no luck so far.

I have arranged to do (unpaid) work experience at a clinical trials unit for 1 day per week in term time. My first day is tomorrow and I'm quite nervous. I've been looking through the posts about working and it seems that everyone has the same bad experiences like I did 3 years ago when I was 'let go on health grounds'. So with this thread I'm hoping to add a twist and I'd like to know what good experiences you've had with work and disability (you know what I mean). How did you overcome problems with limited mobility, extreme fatigue, colleagues, and anything else you think might help?

I'm going to try and show what I can do and down play what I can't but I'm not sure that this is the right way forward either to be honest. I'm hoping that there might be a job for me in the future but how do I make this work not only for me but also for the other staff?

Hope you are all well.
Cathy xx

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cathy hi..

That is a bit of a tough question.. for me anyways lol..
    The best advice i can give is to be honest with the employer..Only you know your strengths and weaknesses and what you can and can't do..I think if you over exert yourself you will not be doing yourself any favours ..So pace yourself and work closely with your boss and other members of staff so that together you feel happy and comfortable..
    Wish you well and hope you have a good first day.. let us know how you get on..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Thanks Tracy,

I do believe in honesty anyway but it has lost me 3 jobs in the past so my morals are slightly shaken.

I don't really have too much of a problem with the PsA, I've got the pain fairly well managed at the moment, so long as I'm sensible. :roll: lol. My disability is much more hidden as I'm also a haemophiliac and that can't be seen by even me! I was supposed to have started last week but had to delay due to an emergency blood transfusion that came out of the blue. This is my biggest worry as there's nothing I can do about it. I think this is where all my nerves have come from as well. I'll post back to let you know how it goes. I might be worrying about nothing. :smile:

Cath
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    It's natural to worry luvie.. we wouldn't be human if we never..
    I only say about honesty due to insurance and legal wotsits lol..I know if something was to happen at work due to your health and they wasn't aware of the situation then it would be you in trouble..My job i just got dismissed from was trying to pull that one on me .. in the end they had to find my origianl applicatio which clearly stated my gynae problems i was suffering with at the time, so they couldn't use that one but got rid of me cause of my arthur..
    Really hope you enjoy it tomorrow, will be thinking of you..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Cathy

Just wanted to call in here and wish you luck for tomorrow and well done you for trying to get back into things by volunteering. It can only be a positive for you in looking for something more permanent. I really do hope tomorrow is a good start for you and can help build some confidence.

I hope people do see this and can give us examples of good experiences in the workplace. It would be encouraging to see them. My employer did at least let me work part time a few years ago, which was a first for the company and it was frankly either that or I had to leave so I was glad they allowed me that, but sadly that really is the only positive I can add from a personal viewpoint.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow and good luck with the applications
    Chris