Nodules/ nodes or ganglions?

Options
Mat48
Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
edited 1. Jan 2012, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi - I wonder if anyone else has these little lumps around the place that seem to correspond with my joints most affected by RA? I have looked online and see the most likely things are called Heberdeen and Buchard's nodes that commonly go with OA - but these are on my knuckles too and also one on my elbow and one on my wrist.

They are the size of half a pea max and are hard and one on my left pinky middle joint is red and shiny and I've had to stop wearing my wedding ring as it rubs on it. This finger is also stiff and swollen on same middle finger joint and my physio says that is "classic RA"? My GP thought these smooth lumps might be small ganglions but it seems quite a coincidence that they have arrived at the same time as RA and also that I have 3 or 4 new ones since starting on Methotrexate five weeks ago? Can anyone else tell me what these might be or has anyone here with RA had anything similar?

Oops and I also almost forgot to say Happy Hogmanay to you all! Mat :grin:
If you get lemons, make lemonade

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mat,

Happy Hogmanay!

I've got a lump on my ring finger on right hand (at top joint). All my fingers though have become knobbly and distorted. They are quite visibly becoming more twisted, that make sense? My left pinky finger is one of the worst. I've had xrays done on them and drs suspect OA. I still think I've got PA as well as OA. I'll soon find out.

Hope you are doing alright?

MAgenta x
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Yes thanks Magenta can't complain. Its my left pinky that's one of the worst and I do wonder often if these nodule/ ganglion/ node thingys aren't a sign that I've got OA rather than RA or as well as - but as long as things improve it really doesn't matter of course :grin:

And things are improving just now but I'm unable to tell whether it's down to luck and 1200 mgs of ibuprofen taken daily (as soon as i drop down or stop for a day it comes flooding back) or the Methotrexate (15mgs) which I've been taking for 5 weeks or the stress ball which one son gave the other for Xmas and which I've been 'borrowing' and exercising my hands with everyday. They are both still pretty stiff - so I still can't clench or squeeze toothpaste etc but the pain and swelling has gone out of them both to a large extent over the past few days. My wrists too feel slightly less painful - so much to celebrate really - I do hope I'm lucky enough for complete remission to be on it's way but am just taking each day as it comes - and stress balling often as I go! :wink: Take care, Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi again,

Glad things are improving for you, hope it continues for you.

Have A Good New Year!

Magenta x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Mat,

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I have a nodule at the base of my right thumb.
    It gets very painful sometimes and gets a corn on it.

Happy New Year.
    Anita x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hi , Mat , I'm a long time RA sufferer , ( 31 years and counting ) , I have depuytrens contracture ; ie my hands are elegant twisted claws and they are covered in myriad nodules too , some fingers look as if they have double the number of knuckles ! Once the nodule has formed and grown ; they cause me very little extra pain so I just accept that that's all part and parcel of the RA . Jillyb