buggy for a 4 year old with juvenile arthritis??

leosmum
leosmum Member Posts: 9
edited 2. Oct 2015, 14:28 in My child has arthritis
I have a 4 year old boy diagnosed 6 months ago- joints affected left knee and both ankles. after 6 months of steroids and a corticosteroid injection to the knee, he started on methotrexate about 8 weeks ago. we are told it could take up to 6 months before meds make him pain free but for now, his knee (infact entire leg) is very swollen and he cant walk very far at all. we have a 16month old daughter and have a pram which when we are out for walks our son ends up int he pram or being carried. Problem is he is 25kg (side effect of steroid use is some weight gain) and most prams are up to 20kg. We feel we need to use one for him if we go even for a short walk as he is in so much pain after a short time it becomes very limiting. we would prefer he can hop in and out of buggy if and when he needs to rather than curtail walks and trips out altogether. We are going on holiday end of feb and wanted to invest in a double buggy that would take a child up to age 5- any recommendations or suggestions of how anyone else has coped?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello leosmum, it's nice to meet you. I am afraid I have no practical advice whatsoever (not being a mum) but re the holiday would it be worth investigating the possibility of hiring a wheelchair? His weight would not be so much of an issue for that. I know that you need something for your littler one too, it is a conundrum, isn't it? I hope some of the mums we have spot this and can help better than me. I hope he is having as good a day as he can - and you too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • leosmum
    leosmum Member Posts: 9
    thank you for replying- I guess we are really trying to avoid having a wheelchair for him for many obvious reasons and from a practicality perspective hoping that a double buggy with appropriate weight allowances would be easier to manage if one of us (parents) are on our own with the 2 kids- only 1 pair of hands to push!
    Just wondered how other people cope with young kids?
  • anniesmum
    anniesmum Member Posts: 102
    What about getting a second hand one then you could use it for your holidays and if it is wrecked by your kids you have not blown a fortune and can chuck it. I had one of those Maclaren side by side ones for my first two which was great as long as doors were wide enough - I did get stuck in a narrow door way once which was a little embarressing as baby, toddler and all our stuff had to be unloaded so I could collapse it. All done with busy, impatient shoppers trying to exit the shop. Oh happy double buggy days.
    I have also seen heavy duty buggys about - they might be designed for disable/larger kids but dont look like wheel chairs. Oh and another idea - are 'buggy boards' still on sale - you know, they attatch to the back of the buggy. This might not be so good if Leo cant stand for too long though. Good luck.
  • janeb
    janeb Member Posts: 18
    Hello i have just bought a maclaren xlr buggy itis only a single but can carry up to 65lbs. When you are buggy hunting my advice is to look up american web sites as they have different laws regarding weight limits they must accomodate larger heavier kids. There is a double 3 wheeler made by mountain buggy, it is bulky but would deffinately suit your older child. Hope this info is of some help.
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    I had this problem with my daughter. Although she was 4 at the time she's very tall and always looks a year older than she is. At the time I had a silver cross pram and I used to lay it down flat and she would sit closest to me and the baby in between her legs, after a while it got to the point that this was not working and we shifted to a wheelchair for her, was the best thing ever and I bought a walking child carrier for my 2 year old to sit in. It takes them to up to 4 years old and wasn't exactly cheap but now I don't have to worry when out and about my 2 year old goes on my back and my now 5 year old hops in and out of the wheelchair this has been my only solution to the problem and for me it's worked.

Good luck finding a combination that will work for you all.

Michelle xxx
  • anita01
    anita01 Member Posts: 43
    Hi Just wanted to add that I found the mclaren elite ideal for my daughter,when she was diagnosed age 6, sorry but have no experience in the double buggy line.

Emma is now 8 1/2 and says its now too babyish, so I hired a childs wheelchair from the red cross locally.

Hope you find something suitable , ?? a buggy board on a large size buggy , ok i spose til they both need a sleep,

Anita
  • rgentry1989
    rgentry1989 Member Posts: 52
    hello, i had it like that at the age of 5 i had a spec pram made for older children id ask ur doc about them x
    rachel
  • anita01
    anita01 Member Posts: 43
    Hi, yes, if you get DLA for your daughter, you might get one provided, otherwise 2nd hand ebay is good, x
  • uklovebaby
    uklovebaby Member Posts: 1
    Hi there.

I really am not sure if this will be of any use but there are one or two buggy;'s that might suit here.

Thanks.

<a href="http://love-baby.co.uk/">mountain buggy</a>
  • worriedmum
    worriedmum Member Posts: 72
    Hi,
    Buggy board works for us. 6 year old uses it when bad - was a relief to have another baby just so I had a pushchair to attach it to for her!!
    Good luck
    Sam. x
  • mummyofthree
    mummyofthree Member Posts: 3
    hi my daughter is nearly 2 and also got a 9month old the 1 year old has polyarticular jia and we have a graco tandem but prior to this a baby jogger tandem. any double buggies you use will be very heavy but i do reccomend these prams both took my daughters weight she is now 25lb and she is fine in the buggies with her sister
  • worriedmum
    worriedmum Member Posts: 72
    What about a nine year old? Even walks through the city are now a problem due to bony damage in an ankle. Don't really want to use a wheelchair but she is getting to big to piggy back and don't really know what else to suggest. Any clues?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It cannot be easy carrying a nine year old, and maybe not too good for her morale. I can understand the reluctance about using a wheelchair, it is a visual representation of disability, but it can also be seen as a positive option; it will give her some measure of independence, you will all be able to travel further for longer and do more together as a family. It may not have to be used all the time but it will help you make the most of the high days and holidays which is why I bought mine. They can be blinged up in a number of ways too, spray-painted, crystals attached, whatever takes your (and her) fancy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I have a Mountain Buggy duet, it's tough and sturdy but the seats are a little narrow. I imagine it would be big enough because it is designed to be and he could get in and out ok. I also have used an out and about nipper (three wheeler) it's bulkier and a bit more of a faff to put up and down but the seats are wider.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter