Algesal

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 28. Feb 2012, 15:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone heard of this rub,my aunt mentioned it,you can only get it on prescription.Mig

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No, I haven't, sorry Mig. What is special about it? (apart from the only-on-prescription thing of course!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    She said its got anerthetic propeties,she has oa in hands.(excuse spelling) Mig
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi Mig,
    Algesal has been around for quite a while.
    The good thing about it is it doesn't smell horrible. For some reason docs don't prescibe it as often as they did.
    It works the same as all the others.
    May
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but have heard of it - you'll have to let us know if it's any good for you.

Isn't it anti-inflammatory???

Love

Toni xx
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi Mig,

I just saw your post and the doctor prescribed me Algesal for the early stage OA in my left thumb, its lavender scented.

I personally havent found any difference in the thumb since trying it and I have used it for 6 weeks. but everybody is different with the various meds we take. I found that Capiscin didnt work for me either,

A little tip, I took in the prescription and the chemist I go to the guy told me that you dont need a prescription for it and its cheaper non prescription anyway, its about £3 roughly a 50gram tube.

You can always ask your local chemist for it as a normal item, Im not sure if counties differ in their thinking but I live in Kent and my chemist told me to chuck the prescription order as he sells it over the counter.

Mind you the pain clinic has just upped my pain meds again due to one long flare up over this winter, and shes stopping it in its tracks.

I hope I can have helped in some way.

Jules