Hot flushes / sweats

Aimer66
Aimer66 Member Posts: 50
edited 17. May 2012, 10:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
H there,

Does anyone else get hot flushes and almost feeling sweaty, particularly at night?

This seems to be a symptom of my flair ups.

If i was a woman I would say I was going through the change with thoe hot flushes!!

Thanks,

Mark.
Want what you have.

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Don't worry Mark!

I get them just before a flare up, I am a woman though & I'm not going through the change!

I soak the pillowcase through & nightwear. It's my warning sign & I then try to rest even more to prepare myself. It's pants really!

Janie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I reckon it's a part of an inflammatory arthritis. I am no longer menopausal but still hot and sweaty? For sure. It's either the disease or the meds or a ghastly combination of the two. I wrap my pillow in a towel and keep a hand towel next to the bed for nocturnal mop-ups. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I am Past being meno but get hot flushes,with me slowly coming off the codeine i have noticed that i get them a little less,i reckon it could well be meds combos.Mig
  • muffy
    muffy Member Posts: 72
    Thank goodness someone else has them, I thought it was just me and the Leflunomide. I get one or two during the evening but during the night it's a case of bedding going flying and window opened wide despite the cold weather. I do find running my wrists under cold water for a while calms them down. I did the change years ago and thought I had finished with all that.
    Sylvia
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Mark
    I was diagnosed with OA, but I do wonder if its some form of inflammatory...I suddenly start to burn up, and I stopped having hot sweats 6 years ago.
    And if you are new to the forum ..then a big welcome from me..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hi mate some meds can do that i used to get it when i was on Methotrexate i would soak the bed . However you do need to let your GP or consultant know whats going on as it can be associated with other problems. Take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Aimer66
    Aimer66 Member Posts: 50
    Don't think it's the meds as I am only on Arcoxib.

This all started 18 months ago with bad night sweats and I was tested for everything which all came back negative (which was good).

Have not had any sweats for 12 months but now I have started getting hot at night again with joint pain and general feeling of being unwell.

It's reassuring to know that this can be part of an arthritic condition as I am still "undiagnosed" as to what exactly I have.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Mark.
    Want what you have.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Mark

you can have inflammatory arthritis (and slightly raised temperature, which is part of it) without positive blood results. Like me! :)

It could be worth asking the GP about it??

Love

Toni xx
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Yes, my face and neck go deep red, and I burn up. Only thing I have found that helps (a bit) is having a cold drink with a couple of ice cubes. It can get very embarassing, I never know when its going to happen.

Please do talk to your GP about it, my only tip is making sure you keep ice cubes in the freezer.

Best wishes
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    My rheumy told me that the sweats were due to inflammation. They are horrible, I am dreading the summer again, as winter keeps them at bay slightly :oops:

You should always mention it to your gp though, as it can be signs of other illnesses as well.
  • cheekygirl
    cheekygirl Member Posts: 128
    HI guy s ladies oh so glad someones mentioned hot flushes and night sweats i have been in change ,, for over ten years .and thay settled down .then they came back twice as bad .now thanks to you all i realise its not the change thanku so much . sometimes when i am having a really bad flare up thay just wont let up i tried all the over counter meds for hot flushes no wonder thay didnt work its the dam p/a or fybro or the other types of arthritis i have .todays weather doesnt help pouring it down and dam cold bbbrrr .take care you all xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I reached menopause 2 years ago. When I see my GP's nurse, she says the sweats can last for several years after. When I mention it to my rheumie, he says it's the RA. I feel hot quite often during the day and night. At work, my boss is ok with me leaving a window open so I can pop my head out when I need to cool down. Thank goodness or I would pass out.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm now running on a permanent hot setting. I am four years (I think) post meno, so I attribute it to the meds, but the comment of your nurse is interesting. Mr DD sits on the sofa wearing a number of layers, I sit there in a nightie and melting. It's tiresome. I really would like to feel cold once in a while, it would make a pleasant change! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    When your arthritis isn't controlled it gives you flushes and sweats that's why we have them more during a flare-up.

Hope this helps answer your question, though I know it won't help with the flushes. :roll:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • applerose
    Thanks. I'm not on any meds at the moment. My bosses laugh at me. They sometimes wear coats, scarves and gloves indoors while I wear a t-shirt.
    Christine
  • YORKYSUE
    YORKYSUE Member Posts: 35
    Do you also feel sick and very weak like your going to faint with these hot flushes im getting these quite a lot at the moment Sue x
  • lindalegs
    YORKYSUE wrote:
    Do you also feel sick and very weak like your going to faint with these hot flushes im getting these quite a lot at the moment Sue x

I don't Sue but others might. I feel irrationally irritable just before one against anyone in the vicinity .................usually Mr Legs :wink: but mine are menopausal flushes as my RA is controlled well at the moment.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • applerose
    I do feel as if I'm going to pass out ans sometimes a little sick with the heat.
    Christine
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    I'm glad this subject came up.

I have OA and poss fibro and for the last year have the most awful attacks of sweating. My face literally melts and drips, it's horrible. It's not just at night either it's anytime at all, no set pattern either.

It's terribly embarrassing and I once had to leave a very posh dinner I had attended with my hubby as I was literally pouring with sweat down my face and my back etc. My make up went into an impression of the scream mask and I had big patches on my dress. We apologized saying it was my medication and left.

I've not said anything to my GP in case he says it's just cos I'm fat!

Fols x
  • lindalegs
    Folara wrote:

I've not said anything to my GP in case he says it's just cos I'm fat!

Fols x

You perhaps ought to mention it Fols ..................and I don't think being overweight is a reason to sweat like that.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • Moller841
    Moller841 Member Posts: 28
    Hey Hey...

I get hot clammy hands during the day and during the night... in fact i have them right now.

I hate it when I'm at work and suddenly ill go very sweaty and unfortunately its very embarrassing when in front of customers... Im on all sorts of meds but i have just got used to them but now i have seen this i think ill let me Rheumy know and see what he says

Hope everyone is doing ok today

Thom
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Thanks Linda. I am seeing him next week as I need to get to the bottom of this fybro thing. I think I will mention it when I give him my pain/symptom diary.

Fols x
  • lindalegs
    Folara wrote:
    Thanks Linda. I am seeing him next week as I need to get to the bottom of this fybro thing. I think I will mention it when I give him my pain/symptom diary.

Fols x

Let me know what he says Fols, it'll be interesting as many of us do get the sweats, I'll mention it to my Rheumy too when I go in May.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi, I have suffered horribly with this for a few years now. I am never cold and drip literally when I get warm. It is horrible, I was told it was down to the inflammation and I had assumed that steroids would only add to the discomfort.

I have been on azathiaprione for about 8 -10 weeks now and I have found that this problem has improved. I am hoping it will continue and it isn't coincidence. I will mention it to the rheumy when I see him.
  • lindalegs
    Well, that's three of us Suzy ..........hopefully we'll all get the same answer :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x