Bladder / Urinary infections - Humira

jceeyore1975
jceeyore1975 Member Posts: 11
edited 27. Feb 2012, 16:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a hormonal IUD fitted last November and in January I started taking Humira along with my MTX for psoriatic arthritis ......

3 weeks ago (after 3 Humira injections) I started getting symtoms of a urinary tract infection. I went to the GP who didn't examine my pee but gave me a course of antibiotics. These helped and the symptoms went away. However, 2 days after stopping similar symtoms came back.

This time they tested my pee - it showed no infection but they gave me antibiotics to be on the safe side .... and sent away my urine for testing - again this showed no infection.

I finish the 2nd course of antibiotics, but this time the symtoms are still there - so I am prescribed some anti-thrush medication. This has helped but I still have bladder irritation (stinging when I pee) and a feeling that all is not well down there.

I am due to go back to the GP this week to assess things and I am wondering whether it is related to my Humira or the IUD. I am wondering whether to have the IUD removed as that way I know it cannot be that at all. I am also receiving mixed messages on whether and IUD is suitable for patients who are immuno-suppressed. The NHS and other websites say no, but the family planning nurse and the rhuemy nurse who I have spoken to say yes.

So here I sit feeling better than I did 3 weeks ago, but still with something not quite right down below .....

Has any experienced bladder irritation on Humira? I know it lists urinary infections as a side effect, but the test keep coming back negative for infection.

Thanks as always
JC

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Gosh JC

l have no advice because l have no experience of either IUD or humira.

BUT l have had a UTI once and only once and NEVER want to have one again :shock: .

If your gut tells you to have the IUD out then l am sure you have the right :?

My fingesr are crossed for yo

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry, I can't help, JC, but just bumping this up in the hope that someone who can will see it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    I know its a difficult choice but you have to decide, If the coil is removed you will no one way or another if it is causing the problem. But you have to make the choice yourself I would be inclined to have a chat with GP you cant go on like that. Take Care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE