Anyone had surgery for dry eyes?

tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 2. Mar 2012, 12:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know there are quite a few of us with dry eyes/Sjogrens and just wondered if anyone has had surgery to block all their tear ducts permanently and, if so, how successful it was.

I saw the eye consultant on Monday and he has booked me in for this procedure because temporary punctal plugs have not worked (fall out within a few minutes). He tells me that this is minor surgery under local anaesthetic and usually works well. Apparently the downside is that I could end up with the opposite problem of very runny eyes but he has told me that because my eyes are so very dry this is unlikely.

Also just a potentially useful snippet for others with very dry eyes - he has prescribed some new eye drops for me called Hylo Forte and they are helping for anywhere between 40 mins and 2 hours at a time (which is much easier than having to use lacrilube cream sometimes as often as every 10 mins - and with the added bonus of being able to see!). I don't think they are prescription only but they are, I suspect, quite expensive.

Anyhoo, any feedback on the eye surgery would be welcome.

Tillyxxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, Tilly. I can't help at all but I do very much hope it works for you. You deserve a break from it. Fingers crossed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tillytop
    Thanks so much Sticky. And lovely to have you back - you have been very much missed :D

Tillyxxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Aw thanks, Tilly. :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oooh, new words, DD likes new words. 'Punctal' - very much like punctual but isn't. 'Hylo Forte' sounds like a lover I have yet to meet: it's a 'Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce you to Hylo, isn't he yummy?' kinda thing.

Anyhoo, the answer is no, sorry, I've never had it done and don't know anyone who has. :oops: Your less-than-helpful friend, DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Tilly, yes I do know someone who had had it done, and it was very successful. Let me know if you want to speak to them, I can arrange it.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Tilly
    No not had that but have an eye appointment 13th March.
    I have been told its dry eyes but the tears are streaming down my cheeks
    so I cant see how that can be right.....watery maybe but looks as if I'm crying.
    Let me know anything you find out
    Love
    Hileena
  • tillytop
    Thanks DD, Suzy and Hileena for your replies.

DD - your post really did make me giggle!

Suzy - that is really kind of you - I will PM you nearer the time if I'd like to take you up on that offer if that's ok. Thanks so much.

Hileena - so sorry you are still struggling with your runny eyes and really hope you get somewhere at your eye appt on 13th. I was thinking of your situation when the consultant told me about the possible risk of permanently runny eyes after the op. But from what the consultant indicated, if I don't go that route, my sight could be at risk in the longer term. He said that, although I am not at that point yet, the last resort is to permanently stitch people's eyes partly closed to try to save their sight (yikes :shock:) - at which point I decided I would happily, and gratefully, go for the tear duct plugging op!

Thanks again all.

Love Tillyxxx
  • Aprilann
    Aprilann Member Posts: 49
    Hi Tilly

Yes I have had the bottom tear ducts blocked about 22 years ago and it was a success. Only occasionally do I use sno tears (sometimes due to the central heating). I too have sjogrens syndrome - my mouth gets really sore. I never suffer with runny eyes. Good luck.
  • tillytop
    Thanks for your reply Aprilann - I was very encouraged by what you had to say. Like you, I struggle with a dry mouth too - when it's particularly bad, eating is like trying to swallow dry cardboard. :roll: Wish there was something they could "plug" to help the dry mouth eh? :lol:

Thanks again for your reply.

Tillyxxx