coming off methotrexate to conceive

Options
andreaH
andreaH Member Posts: 9
edited 1. Mar 2012, 11:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have already done this once, have one child, so my dr assumed i remember the drill. He said I can come off mxt when i want; but I cant remember how I wean myself off it, by lowering the dose how? and cant wait till i next see him, thats in 9 months. any suggestions?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never come off meth in order to conceive - my pregnancies were long before meth - but, for what it's worth, I've come off it twice in order to have operations. I just stopped it and, just as it takes a while to get into your system, it seemed to take a while to get out.

However, I think you need to liaise with either your consultant or GP because I'd assume you'd need something else that is compatible with pregnancy. What did you take last time, andreah? Would it be worth phoning your rheumatology nurse? I hope it all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • andreaH
    andreaH Member Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks for your reply. Yes, emailed a friend and she just came off it too, may have been mixing it up with how to come off steriods. Last time i came off it and was not given anything else, they assumed I would go into remission - i didn,t. I was then given steriods throughuot the pregnancy, after one miscarriage. I kind of thought dr would put me on something to ease the transition, but he didnt seem keeen on me trying agian and said I am probably in for a bumpy ride. Must say I am a bit put off and in two minds. Dont really want to do steriods again but dont want the pain either. I am still thinking about what to do.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Ah, now steroids are a whole different ballgame.

They might have assumed you'd go into remission last time because it does sometimes happen with a first pregnancy. It did with me. Blissful 9 months then wham it was back practically the minute he was born. It certainly doesn't happen to most people though, it seems to be only first pregnancies when it does and it certainly didn't happen to me second time round. After which, of course, I had two small children to deal with despite flaring throughout the pregnancy and even worse afterwards. Luckily, my Mum helped out a lot.

Steroids weren't an option for pregnancy in my time but they've always worked brilliantly for me - it's just getting off them again that's the problem. It's not an easy decision to make. I know I'd make the same one if I was faced with the option of doing it again but it was a very rough ride for some years. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright