Naproxen & pregnancy

Sheenie17
Sheenie17 Member Posts: 11
edited 2. Mar 2012, 16:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
I hoping you guys can give me some advice. Firstly I'll give you a little back ground infomation.
I have RA in my left hip, started in Jan 2008. I had a very hard time in the beginning, from barely being able to walk to an extreme allergic reaction to sulfasalazine causing alsorts of problems!
Recently I have been taken off Hydroxychloroquine sulphate and now just take Naproxen.
Although it's just in my hip, it seems to effect my left knee and the whole of my lower back. In April 2011 I had such bad pain in my knee i was convinced I had RA in there too, thou i was told its all to do with my hip.
I had my Naproxen dose increased in September and I have really seen a difference in my aches and pains.
What my question and concern is what happens when I want to have a baby? My husband and I are ready to start thinking about it. The last time I spoke to the doctor about it, he said I would need to be off the naproxen for 3months before, and I would need to speak to them first. I am due to see him again at the end of march, but what i would really like it some real experiences.
How long will i have to be off the medication?
How am i going to cope with aches and pains :( ?
Will the weight of carrying a baby effect my hip?
And what about the giving birth?
Are the doctors supportive throughout?

Sorry for the many questions! I just know when i go to see him i'll forget everything i want to ask.

Comments

• jan50ish
    jan50ish Member Posts: 47
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry I don't know about Naproxen and pregnancy but a quick suggestion,between now and when you see your doctor make a list of the questions you want to ask..hope all goes ok,

Jan
  • Sheenie17
    Any one?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    There are people on here who have come off meds to have babies, Sheenie17, but unfortunately they don’t seem to be around right now. I did too but the last time was going on 40 years ago so my experiences aren’t going to be very relevant. The person to talk to is your rheumatologist mainly but also to liaise closely with your GP. Back then I had to manage on soluble aspirin for 9 months and it was no joke but there’s other stuff now. You will, however have to stay off the nap for the duration of the pregnancy and longer if you want to breastfeed. My hips weren’t affected before my pregnancies but my knees & ankles were and, yes, it certainly did affect them. I was lucky in that giving birth was a doddle both times. I hope it goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    If you click on Search, at the top of the screen and type in pregnancy, you will find pages and pages of past posters chatting about just that. Perhaps not specifically mentioning naproxen but the past threads would give you a good insight into how others with arthritis have coped and so on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    http://www.operationuptheduff.blogspot.com

Stlucia a member of this forum started a blog last October re JIA and TTC/pregnancy.

You may like to follow her blog......

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Sheenie17
  • andreaH
    andreaH Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    I had to come off methotrexate for at least 3 months before falling pregnant, which sounds similar to you, although i was also on etanercept. I have one child. I think if your hips are affected you could be in line for a ceaceserean-but dont quote me, I'm not a doc. During my pregnancy I flared very quickly, as soon as started off my meds, before I knew i was pregnant could use pain killers and once pregnant needed steriod injections and then was on long term steriods throughout the pregnancy. I was told I would be given a steriod drip during the labour, but things didnt seem to go as planned and i ended up having a c-section. I am wondering about a second child but know how quickly my pain returned once off meds and thats even before pregnant. my nurse said she would support my decision and support with pain management, my dr was supportive first time around but was not saying the same supportive things this time. It does put me off a bit.
    Hope this helps you.
    x