Arthritis in Neck, Shoulder and Wrist

kittymedaughter
kittymedaughter Member Posts: 81
edited 1. Apr 2012, 05:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been suffering from a sore neck, shoulder and wrist all on my left side..I have mentioned this to my Dr and he examined me and said i have arthritis...do i not need a x-ray to confirm this, Can Dr tell if it is arthritis without a x-ray...I have just been diagnoised with grade 2 arthritis in my left knee...would seem my left hand side of my body is a mess

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello again, kittymedaughter. How's the knee you had the arthroscopy on? I hope it's going well.

I presume they x-rayed this knee to determine that you needed the arthroscopy. If so, I suppose it's a fair bet that the pain in the other joints is also arthritis.

You could probably insist on x-rays if you wish.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If it's osteoarthritis that you have in your knee (and that is graded) then I suspect your GP has made that diganosis based on that fact. I am sure you could ask him to refer you for an Xray - he might say yes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, Maybe your GP could see the joints where out of shape and swollen etc if it is OA hands like mine, its quite obvious. But it would be nice to have proper confirmation from an x-ray and they only take a minute or so. I'd ask to be sure.
    Hope all goes well for you.
    Love Sue xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I have been suffering from a sore neck, shoulder and wrist all on my left side..I have mentioned this to my Dr and he examined me and said i have arthritis...do i not need a x-ray to confirm this, Can Dr tell if it is arthritis without a x-ray...I have just been diagnoised with grade 2 arthritis in my left knee...would seem my left hand side of my body is a mess

Hi there

sometimes they can tell l think due to the movements you can make and any stiffness they can 'feel' on examination. If you are worried or get any other new symptoms l am sure you would have the right to ask for an Xray. They are not too expensive, fairly quick and painless. Might be worth taking some back-up (partner/friend) along if you find it hard to assert yourself with the doctor?

Take care

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi kittymedaughter.

Sorry you have been told that one flower but they don't always have to use x-rays to know its arthritis. There can be a degree of crepitus and movement issues as well as a general feel to it so that bit means yes he can diagnose it.

However....

I always think its better to know just what its up to, what stage its at etc and for that you do need an x-ray so I would push for a few just to see exactly what is going on.

Hang in there and I promise you its ok in time with that lot as I also have it and its easier than you fear it will be. Cris x