Newly diagnosed with RA

Options
rachsmary
rachsmary Member Posts: 13
edited 12. Apr 2012, 12:25 in Young people's community
Hi there

I have just recently been diagnosed with RA and am on steroids and have just started Methotrexate. Not sure what to expect as think I am still in shock. I am only 36 and always associated RA with the older generation as my mother and her sisters all have it (I presume it is hereditary).

I am supposed to stay on the steroids until the MTX kicks in which will be about 4 weeks or so. Not sure what happens then or what to expect. Does the MTX work or when I come off the steroids will I experience the pain again as feel ok now?? Haven't really got a clue about the RA or the medication. Any info greatly received.

I work full-time and have a 18 month old son so trying to keep my chin up!

Thanks

Rachel

Comments

• anniesmum
    anniesmum Member Posts: 102
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    rachsmary wrote:
    Hi there

I have just recently been diagnosed with RA and am on steroids and have just started Methotrexate. Not sure what to expect as think I am still in shock. I am only 36 and always associated RA with the older generation as my mother and her sisters all have it (I presume it is hereditary).

I am supposed to stay on the steroids until the MTX kicks in which will be about 4 weeks or so. Not sure what happens then or what to expect. Does the MTX work or when I come off the steroids will I experience the pain again as feel ok now?? Haven't really got a clue about the RA or the medication. Any info greatly received.

Thanks

Rachel

Hi Rachel - Poor you, I am sorry to have to welcome you on here but hello and I found this forum very helpful and reassuring. My daughter was diagnosed early feb this year and she has also recently started mtx injections. We also are going to be reducing the steroids, starting in a few weeks time. Very frustrating as her JIA seems to be finally under some sort of control we now have to find another method. What will happen to Annie when reducing the steroids is unknown - the ideal is that the mtx wiill have kicked in and she will continue with just her weekly injections rather than the three lots of diffenet meds she takes each am. If mtx doesnt work I am assuming it will be like when we tried taking her off the steroids before and she worsened again - some of the pain came back, temperature spikes and rashes (she has the Systemic form of JIA) but it wasn't as bad as the first flare as we quickly upped the steroids again which controlled it a bit more. Hope that complicated reply helps a bit. I was also going to suggest the Living with Arthritis forum as that is for people just like you where as this one has mainly parents on it. Hope that helps and good luck.
  • rachsmary
    rachsmary Member Posts: 13
    Options
    anniesmum wrote:
    rachsmary wrote:
    Hi there

Thanks

Rachel

Hi Rachel - Poor you, I am sorry to have to welcome you on here but hello and I found this forum very helpful and reassuring. My daughter was diagnosed early feb this year and she has also recently started mtx injections. We also are going to be reducing the steroids, starting in a few weeks time. Very frustrating as her JIA seems to be finally under some sort of control we now have to find another method. What will happen to Annie when reducing the steroids is unknown - the ideal is that the mtx wiill have kicked in and she will continue with just her weekly injections rather than the three lots of diffenet meds she takes each am. If mtx doesnt work I am assuming it will be like when we tried taking her off the steroids before and she worsened again - some of the pain came back, temperature spikes and rashes (she has the Systemic form of JIA) but it wasn't as bad as the first flare as we quickly upped the steroids again which controlled it a bit more. Hope that complicated reply helps a bit. I was also going to suggest the Living with Arthritis forum as that is for people just like you where as this one has mainly parents on it. Hope that helps and good luck.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Sorry to hear about Annie. I am using the living with Arthritis Forum now and have found it very helpful.

Good luck to you and Annie.
  • sweetprincess
    sweetprincess Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi ,
    I am just 17 and recently diagnosed with reactive arthritis.My whole life has changed.I was so happy in my life.Its very difficult to fight depression which disturbs me a lot.I am taking NSAIDS for now.I really need some help.How can I manage with it.I need some guidance about pain management.
  • NikkiMikki
    NikkiMikki Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there. I have RA too, was diagnosed last year. I started a similar treatment of steroids and methotrexate. However, for me, the methotrexate was not as affective as my doctor hoped for. I tried another round of steroids to help the methorexate kick in further, but I was still in a lot of pain. You have might have success with it, but my RA was kinda severe so I started on an IV treatment after my doctor realized I wasn't responding very well to the methotrexate. Hope that helped! Best of luck. Keep smiling. :D
  • joziexo
    joziexo Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello :)
    im 18 and had RA for a few years now. i was put on steriods and methotrexate along with other things for sickness and anemia etc.. but found it didnt work as well as they had hoped. i was then put on a injection called embrel and it was a miracle! obviously some days were abit stiff but apart from that i felt really good :) so good they took me off them as they thought my RA had settled down and i didnt need it anymore. unfortunatly when i came off it started all over again and im now going to begin the injections again after a few painful months :(
    there are soooo many medications out there (so im told by my doctor!) if one medication doesnt work then theyl try out anouther one until you begin feeling flexible again haha!
    i really hope you begin to feel better :) xx
  • Moller841
    Moller841 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey,

Im 21 and got diagnosed middle of last year and started on meth in january with steroids too... i have never had any luck with any of the pills... I have been in pain for the last 4 months which has made my life very difficult to say the least... personally i have really struggled with not being able to go out enjoy drinks with my mates and the immobility has been very trying.

I have heard that meth has been wonderful for a lot of people and with RA so give it some time and see how things go... if after a month or so there are many more options. but be true to the Rheumy otherwise you'll be going round in circles like i have even though i have been nothing but honest with the Doc...

Good luck and i wish i knew this earlier but a lot of us are here to help and comfort you in any problem.

Thom
  • mummy2LeoandRiley
    mummy2LeoandRiley Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hiya,

I was diagnosed at 15 months old and have been on a whole range of treatments! Methotrexate can take up to 3 months to get into your system preperly so as you start weaning off your steroids you may find some of your symptoms return but hopefully not for long!! I was first put on MTX when I was about 14, it worked well at first but by the age of 20 I was really struggling again and was put on Anti-TNF treatment alongside the MTX. This has been working really well so far for me! Hopefully your rheumatologist will stay on the ball and be able to offer alternative treatments instead of or alongside your MTX if needed!