Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

ill health retirement

lilac63lilac63 Posts: 19
Hi there

I do hope you can help..im going to see my occy health dr tomorrow as my ward manager thinks I should apply for ill health retirement,

I have no idea about pensions what so ever, I have been working in NHS for 16 years. and have been paying in since i started. could you please shed some light as what i need to do regarding this matter what forms il need.

Iv kidded my self for quite a while that i can still carry out my duties in the ward, but I cant my pay finishes im may this year, so i dont no what i have to do as il have no more coming on apart from my DLA of which im on the highest.

I do hope you can help in some way because no one seems interested,

many thanks


  • helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 2,067
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Wendy

    Thanks for your posting.

    For information on your pension rights and forms which may be needed to fill in, you can contact a financial/benefits specialist.

    You can either contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm), DIAL UK (http://www.dialuk.info/about.asp), The Disability Law Service (http://www.dls.org.uk/about_us/contact.html) , Turn2Us (turn2us.org.uk/) or your local Age UK, if you are over 50 (ageuk.org.uk/about-us/local-services-search/?UserSetLocation=London&Facet=Local+Service.

    You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.


    Helplines Team
  • lulululululu Posts: 486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi I have been retired due to ill health. I did not fill in any forms at all it is all done by work and OH. I got a retirement forcast to give me an idea about pensions, I think they are all different so you may like to request one from your pension, work requested for me. You will be entitled to ESA based on your contrutions for one year then it is income based, if you live with someone that persons income is taken into account after one year so you may not get ESA after one year because I think the income limit is very low. If you rent your home housing benefit and council tax benefit may also be paid while you are reciving ESA. You will continue with the DLA also.
  • lilac63lilac63 Posts: 19
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there thanks so much for replying it has helped alot iv been having sleepless nights because of it.. at least I know what to expect now

    many thanks again for replying
    wendy :D
  • lulululululu Posts: 486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wendy now that I have more time, when you know the date of your last work day then you need to phone your local Jobcentre to request forms for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). phone them as soon as you know as the forms are very long and any delay will mean that you will lose payment for some days.Your claim will start the next working day after you stop working but don't expect any money for several weeks Your DLA will carry on as now as it is not means tested, ESA will be in addition to your DLA. If you rent your home then you also need to inform the people you rent from that you will be claiming housing and council tax benefits. Depends on the rules of you pension company you may get a good (possibly a few grand) lump sum and a monthly pension. As you will be claiming ESA you willl get national insurance credits till you reach state pension age. Please try not to worry and get some sleep it always helps.
  • lulululululu Posts: 486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry Wendy I should say that I am just a forum member and not a part of the help-team. This site does not give much oppertunity to edit posts does it?
  • lilac63lilac63 Posts: 19
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No please dont apologise you have been a great help thank you for replying. it has helped alot i hadnt even heard of ESA but il look into that aswell.

    many thanks for your help
    wendy x
Sign In or Register to comment.