Happy St George's Day

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 24. Apr 2012, 13:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy St George's Day!

We should celebrate today! It's good to be English.
:D:D
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Very good :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Go out there and slay your dragons.Mig
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Thought we'd celebrate by dressing hubby as St George , I need very little make up as the dragon ! Jillyb
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Happy St Georges Day Tony
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Thought we'd celebrate by dressing hubby as St George , I need very little make up as the dragon ! Jillyb

Nice one, jillyb :lol: though you'll be relieved to know I have heard otherwise.

My Dad was called George and there’s a pub near us called The George & Dragon so we always saw it as Mum & Dad’s local.

Insofar as George ever existed – there is doubt, but we can be fairly sure there was never a dragon :roll: – he was a Roman, born in what was then Syria and now Turkey. He never set foot in England and is also the patron saint of Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece. Popular guy but I think I'd prefer an Englishman.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    my o/h ....was late for work it was raining and he has work outside .....He stomped around saying what did St George ever do for us?........bless im :lol::lol::lol: .Anyway every have a good day slay your dragons in what ever form they take Marrianne :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Tony
    We dont celebrate it enough....silly really.
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    And to you Tony

and everyone else on here

t0312.gif

Cheers!

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Well I had a happy day but completely forgot about st george :oops:

Happy st georges day tony and everyone else too :D

Love Juliepf x
  • tjt6768
    Thanks for the replies everyone... We really DON'T celebrate the day enough.
    Last year in Leeds Millennium Square they had a huge St Patrick's day thing going on. They never have one for St George's day. The yr before they didn't have one as they were celebrating Divali (festival of light)...
    I really don't mind being multi-cultural but not at the expense of our own heritage...
    I shall be getting in touch with Leeds City Council again, find out what they are planning for next yr.. Probably bugger all again..

Sticky, I too would have preferred an Englishman but it is what it is and I celebrate with pride. I had my England shirt on and my flags on the car... Sad thing was, driving around I saw nothing else. Went into moggisons super market and again, nothing. On St Paddy's day they had lots of flags up etc... Very disappointing indeed.
    :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    To be serious for a moment, Tony (Don't worry. It will pass :lol: ) I think all the impetus for celebrating St Patrick and Divali comes from the community. The Irish would always celebrate St Paddy and the Hindus Divali even if the councils did nothing. The English have never been interested in St George so it seems unlikely that councils would spend money on it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    To be serious for a moment, Tony (Don't worry. It will pass :lol: ) I think all the impetus for celebrating St Patrick and Divali comes from the community. The Irish would always celebrate St Paddy and the Hindus Divali even if the councils did nothing. The English have never been interested in St George so it seems unlikely that councils would spend money on it.
    Then there is the ultra ridiculous side of it, where Coucils fear they may offend folks... Shameful, but true... Same as not putting any Crimbo decorations up in Leeds at Christmas that actually relate to the hippy zombie's birth itself.. :shock: :o No offence intended, lol...
    Stupid bloody lefties, anyone offended by such things can avert their gaze!!!!!!!

:D:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP