House Sharing

MaryL
MaryL Member Posts: 25
At 65 with RA and totally human and power chair dependent, Large care package but i am feed up with not having people to talk to who are not involved in my care package. I am looking at buying a larger house and inviting 2/3 others to share it with me. I would value any input with this idea. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sounds interesting and i am sure there are a lot of people out there who feel the same but be care full who you choose and make sure you have your own space as well good luck val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can understand why you feel as you do but even if you do end up in a larger house with 'lodgers' where is the guarantee they would talk to you or keep you company? Is there any way you can get out and about? I don't know much about your situation but if there was a way you could join a social group of some sort that might be a better way to meet others. Then if they want to come round for a cuppa you know they want your company. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MaryL
    Hi and thanks for your input. I am the sort of person who drives a power chair from Lands End 2 John o Groats with a very active mind. I am to carry the Olympic Torch. I would like to spend the rest of my days with people around my own age, i am 65, who are on DP or PB and who have the simular interests as me. Whoes get up and go has not got up and gone. I am not the sort of person who goes out to clubs ect. I am on my own right now watching TV writing this post. Tomorrow i am off to London to get my uniform to be a Games Maker at the Olympic Games. It would be great if right now i was in a large house, with others. possible talking about our week ahead. You know what i mean. If i could find say 3 others wanting the same and willing to put say £150,000.00 into buying a house to share. My question is, are there people out there who feel the same as i do.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If you have that sort of get-up-and-go despite the arthritis then that's marvellous: I envy you! I don't know how you could go about finding out if there are like-minded people but perhaps one way would be to put an advert in various sources - the one that immediately strikes my mind is The Lady - and see what sort of response you get from them. A practical concern, however, could be this: your care package is settled where you are so would that also apply to a new address? I know very little about these matters (I have no doubt you know a great deal more) so please accept my apologies for any rudeness. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MaryL
    Hi and thanks for more input.

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear. I want to stay here and know that my care package will travel with me. If i move out of the area, which is quite possible, T&W have to pay for my care for a mimum of 7 years. As regards advertising, I no the Lady magazine, i am hoping that when i approach my local newspaper, possible next week, will take up my story.

On of the great things about DP/PB is the control i have over my life. I can more anywhere and take my care package with me. I can plan my day, i no who is coming in, when they are coming in and for how long. I love DP
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Be careful l Mary there is so many out there that may try to con you. I am sure you are sensible but be careful all the same. Why not just travel and say in nice hotels and meet friends like that. I know what it’s to be along as I live alone as well in a one bedroom flat in central London. I owned my own home until the late nineties and then sold and rented.

I found it such a relive not to have the problems of maintaining a property and no gardening to do and always worry about the roof when it rained. Roofers are not the best of people to employ. I am 2 years older than you, and at present enjoying living on my own. There is a lot to do in London and if I need to go anywhere there is also plenty of transport available.

I am at present going through a messy tribunal with my employer and I expect after it is over I will loose my part time job but do not care as it is the principle at state here. I fell sorry for young people that are getting a bad time now with employer as their are so many people looking for jobs and employer have they pick of people and of course young people let employer away with so much as they do not want to loose their job and maybe not get a good reference and have to live without benefits as well. :(:(

I am ranting again....
  • MaryL
    Hi Emily

Thanks for the raving, you are very welcome.

I have now put on hold moving into a bigger house as i want to concentrate on cross Australia in my power chair, that is i can get a team together. Care to join the team?

Mary