a returning member....

dippydoodah
dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
edited 1. Jun 2012, 08:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi i thought id reintroduce myself. i became a member a few years ago as i started with what was thought of as osteo in all my joints. i was put on paracetamol and naproxen for the pains, they couldnt give me anything more and i have suffered severely over the last 4 years. i gradually got worse, my joint problems spread quickly and now i am severely disabled with little use of my hands and can barely walk around the house without collapsing. i havent left my home to go for a walk, without being in a car, for nearly 2 years....

turns out i have seropositive rheumatoid and have recently been given a new consultant who diagnosed the same within a matter of hours of meeting me. ive had ultrasounds, xrays and bloods done and he's starting me on methatrexate after ive seen a nurse and had a further chest xray.

i stay at home with my husband, who has had to leave work and is now my full time carer. i can barely do anything for myself anymore.

hope to be on here a little more often but i apologise if i dont answer straight away, please bare with me. i find it hard to type (this has taken me ages!) and i find it extremely tiring.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hello again.. :D
    I'm really sorry you've had to go through so much.
    Hope that you start to get great relief with the new regime of meds mi dear..
    As for typing,a lovely lady called Julie on here had just bought some great software, you talk, it types... Maybe something to consider? Obviously I hope that the methotrexate works wonders for you and you don't need it though.
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi welcome back i am glad they have found out the problem but sorry it has taken so long for them to find the problem i hope that things improve now have you tried voice recognition save typing val
    val
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Welcome back and nice to meet you ; I'm a RAer and also have a hubby full time carer , I'd be lost without his love and understanding care . We also rely on the car , wheelchair to car and car to wheelchair but it's been a real godsend as before the wheelchair ( about 4 years ago ) , I couldn't get out at all , amazing how we are all able to adjust ! Keep posting , it always helps to chat . Jillyb
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    welcome back, lovely to hear from you :D

I am sorry that you have had such a bad time lately, let's hope that introducing you to methotrexate helps make life a little easier for you.

Love Julie PF x
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Hi and welcome back ive just joined and fouund good support and advice on here so keep posting :)
  • dippydoodah
    thanks all.
    nice to be back with everyone again. i do apologise if im not online alot though, i dont stay on here very much anyway due to tiredness but i will try to post and respond to other posts as much as i can.

im doing ok. looking through some of the posts on here and knowing alot of you have tried or are still using mtx is reassuring if im honest.

gentle hugs to all xx
  • dippydoodah
    and jilly, i dont know what i would do without my husband. he has been my rock. supported me unconditionally and taken over the household without moaning or creating about it. it makes such a difference on how i handle things x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Welcome back from me too, dippydoodah. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time and I do hope meds will help once they're sorted. For what it's worth, I've been on meth for over 10 years with no problems.

I also hope you'll soon be able to get out a bit. It would drive me even barmier than I am not to be able to get out in the fresh air. Have you considered a wheelchair or rollator? We throw the wheelchair in the car boot, go somewhere nice, then I walk a bit, ride a bit, walk a bit etc. Why not ask your rheumatologist or GP to refer you to a physio? Lack of exercise makes pain worse and stronger muscles lessen it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello dippydoodah, long time no hear! It's lovely to have you back though I am sorry you have been having such a rough time. I have been on injected meth for some years now and have very little trouble with it. I hope it helps you to gain some relief from this difficult disease, I really do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dippydoodah
    thanks all and hi dd!
    the more i talk to people the more im reassured about it. from what i understand everyone reacts to it differently and the only way to find out is try it. i know it can take a while to get the right mixture of meds.

im doing ok despite the ra, have a good support system around me with my husband, kids and family and my new doctor is my new best friend :D
  • dippydoodah
    sticky, ive heard that too much rest can be as bad as too much exercise. its taken a while but i think ive found the balance although i do overdo it sometimes because im a stubborn woman and i hate watching my husband do everything.

i do get out and about in the car and have a little walk around but never too far from the car. ive gotten gradually worse over the 4 years so much so that my knees are terrible and my balance is shocking.

i love going to the beach at ainsdale, southport though. the cars are allowed on the beach and i can play with the boys by the car ~ probably my favourite place :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I dont think we know each other but welcome back anyway,i have ra in hands and feet ,i was diagnosed 2 years ago and still trying to find meds that work well for me,i would like to thank-you for your good wishes,i hope you keep as well as can be,bye for now (((()))) Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    i do overdo it sometimes because im a stubborn woman and i hate watching my husband do everything.

Hey we all overdo it at times. Can't let it dictate our whole lives, can we? As for stubborn..... :oops: yup, I'm with you there too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    oh it was LOVELY to see your name :D

But so sorry to hear how you have suffered while you have been missing :(

I am glad you have found us again and hope to see more of your posts.

Love

Toni xxx
  • dippydoodah
    thank you, you lovely bunch of people :D:D
    im glad to be back, its nice being amongst you all again and i hope, with coping with this for a few years now, maybe i can help other newbies like you all helped me.

im not sure exactly yet (need to see my rheumy at the end of this month for the full chat) where the ra is and whether there is oa aswell.... i only wonder because i have pain everywhere. both toes, both under feet, both ankles, both knees, hip, lower back, both shoulders, elbows are painful, neck and my muscles in my arms and legs cramp up so much and ive pretty much lost the use of my hands through lack of movement and pain.
    i do know he said my ra is very severe and i need to get started on treatment immediately.... but hey ho, he's there to help so however bad it is, im in good hands (have i mentioned how wonderful my new doc is?? lol)

gentle hugs to all xx
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    welcome back :-)

Good to meet you :-) So sorry to read about how disabled you have become though hun xx
  • dippydoodah
    hi and thanks.

i have bad days as everyone does but despite the pain i keep smiling as i have great support from my family.

just getting myself used to the site again! :)