Hi

janetb
janetb Member Posts: 9
edited 9. Jun 2012, 16:05 in Say Hello Archive
Hello all,
Im Janet from Norfolk diagnosed about a year ago. Main problems with hands and wrists, especially index fingers which isn't helped by my job, i'm a dental hygienist ! Does anyone know of any helpful supports for fingers ? have wrist and thumb but not found anything for fingers
great to be a part of this,
Janet

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Janet and welcome!

It must be very hard for you to do your job when your fingers are giving you such trouble. An Occupational Therapist or physio would be the best person to advise you on appropriate supports - choosing them for yourself could result in you causing yourself more of a problem, so I would recomment that you ask your GP or rheumatologist for a referral.

If you repost your message on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum, I am sure you will get some more replies, because more people look there regularly. Please do feel free to join in anywhere - we are a friendly bunch and you will be made very welcome.

Tillyxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Janet, it's lovely to meet you, I too hail from East Anglia - I live in the South Folk region. What form of arthritis do you have? I have an inflammatory type and OA and I am struggling at the moment with numbness in my fingers - it's not pleasant. :( I have heard of wrist and thumb splints (but as yet have not experienced either) and obviously your work demands nimble fingers. I've heard of many things but I cannot remember hearing about finger splints - that, however, doesn't mean they don't exist. I think that perhaps an OT (Occupational Therapist) might be able to help with information and advice, I think your GP can refer you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janetb
    janetb Member Posts: 9
    thanks to you both, Tillytop and DreamDaisy,

Have inflammatory condition, have appt with my Gp on friday so will def ask for a referral to get the right advise about supports and splints. Must admit it's all a bit scary at the moment :( at least i'm passed the stage where I think it will just disappear !
    Will keep you posted on progress,
    Janetb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Hello janetb and welcome from me too. Yes, it can all be a bit scary but stick with us and we'll try to help you through the worst bits. Please do keep us updated but also feel free to join in anywhere on the forum. We're a friendly lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright