Hello

Donna72
Donna72 Member Posts: 4
edited 30. Jun 2012, 09:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

Im realy very new to this. I use the computer loads but not on chat rooms. However, feeling very out of my depth at the moment and hoping for some advise. Visted my doc yesterday having had pains in my fingers since february. Had a feeling they were going to advise Arthritis, but was still shocked that they did. However I didnt get a lot of info as I went also with a re-occuring bursitis, well it never went away really and the main focus was on that for which I need a shot.

This is now where I am confused. I guess I am old school when it comes to docs (only 40yrs though) as I never go then tell them everything is tollerable, and most the time it is but sometimes (tonight) my hip or fingers will be in agony. I am a total control freak and really dont know what to do. I have researched on line and they talk of different types of arthritis and possibly my hip is linked, but my doc realy gave me nothing, saying as it is not red and swollen it is ok for now. Please can any one recommend anything that will help, I feel like a right hypocondriac now returning and saying actually it is much worse than I said and I think I need more advice.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you
Donna

Comments

• Donna72
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry it is my fingers causing the pain my hip I have lived with for a year now.

Many thanks

Donna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Donna. Welcome to the forum and please excuse what will be a short reply as it's past my bedtime and I have a very energetic grandson arriving tomorrow.

I spent years telling my doc I was OK. In the end he'd ask how I was 'apart from OK'. Stocism is OK up to a point but, after that point a little straight talking is better. There's a difference between that and self-pity.

Googling isn't a great idea. So many confusing, conflicting things out there. Talk to us instead.

There are many different types of arthritis. Rheumatologists deal with the auto-immune types and GPs deal with osteo. For the auto-immune versons (usually diagnosed by blood tests) there are disease modifying meds. For osteo it's basically a matter of dealing with the symptoms - anti-inflammatories and pain relief. If you don't have any, I'd get some asap.

Sorry. Must go. I suggest you copy this t hread to the Living With Arthritis forum as mor e people look in ther and I'm sure they'll want to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Donna72
    Hello Stickywicket,

Thank you for your advise. I have plenty of anti inflammatories for my hip so I will take them. I guess at some point I will have to go back but life is so hectic that there never seems time. The doc did advise me to see myu works occupational health nurse but she only visits once every 6 weeks and I cant get into see her till September or the joint doctor for the injection until August. I will talk with him then, theory being he will understand my fingers too(?).

Again thank you very much.

enjoy your grandchild tomorrow.

Donna :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If you have constant pain, you will need constant anti-inflammatories. However, they can mess up your stomach. Always take them with food and, at the first sign of trouble, get back to the doc and ask for a stomach protecting pill.

People on here have found Occy Health very helpful so I suggest you book your appointment now. You can always cancel if you don't feel it necessary nearer the time.

I'm not quite sure who the 'joint doc' is - rheumatologist? orthopaedic surgeon? A rheumatologist would be a good man to speak to. Orthopods ae only really interested in carving you up :lol:

Let's know how it goes.

And, yes, I will enjoy him though I expect to be shattered by Monday :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Donna and welcome and welcome to you, You found a great place here dont be shy of using the other forums.
    Catch you round the site
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE