hip replacement

Options
jordansmum
jordansmum Member Posts: 257
edited 18. Jul 2012, 11:30 in My child has arthritis
hi guy's has been an age since i last posted :oops: but really feel i need some support ,my poor jordan has just been told that he will need a hip replacement within the next year or so as the damage to his joint is so severe :( . Does anyone else have a child that has had to have a joint replacement jordan is only 14 it seems so young. He is on mtx 20mg and 50mg of enbrel but nothing seems to want to stop this horrible desease(sp),he is in so much pain all the time and i feel so helpless he hates the drugs because of the side effects and has become quite depressed at the whole situation . We are both in need of a big hug :cry::cry:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello jordan'smum. Right, first things first (((()))). Is that big enough to be going on with?

I'm so sorry that you and Jordan are going through this. I'm not a Mum of a child with arthritis but I've had it myself since I was 15 and now, at 66, I'm a veteran of 2 THRs and 3 TKRs, all of which have been brilliant.

It must seem terribly young to have a THR at 14 (I only got my first TKRs at 35) but the good thing is it should deal with the pain problem and give him much more freedom of movement. And, if it eventually packs in, he will get another. That's what happened with my TKR. It lasted nearly 30 years then they gave me another which, because of medical advances, is even better than the first. (My other is still with me 31 years on).

I understand the depression - both Jordan's because of his situation and yours having to watch your beloved son deal with all this. It's very, very hard. I do hope the THR will provide some relief.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Chelle123
    Chelle123 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi,
    I have no experience of hip replacement in JIA but I do have a 14 year old son who has been diagnosed recently with systemic JIS. On top of this dreadful condition it must be very hard for you both to have to face a joint replacement. Hopefully the result will reduce pain and therefore increase self esteem and quality of life.

Despite having a background in the health service, no amound of medical knowledge could have prepared me for this diagnosis and the termoil that comes with it.

My son went from being a fit healthy exceptionally sporty teenager to being extremely poorly within 48 hours. He has not quite accepted this disease yet and is very low at times. As a mother it is heartbreaking to watch and you feel totally powerless.
    Good luck
  • jordansmum
    jordansmum Member Posts: 257
    Options
    thanks guy,s for the hugs and support since friday we have been to bristol to see dr ramanan he is in total agreement with the ortho,s except he would like to keep jordan going as long as he can, he has also found probs with his ankles and would like to investigate further.Jordan said he will end up like a robot soon if it effects his ankles as well ,well must go half day today then a nice rest for him for 6 weeks he and myself will be glad of it :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I hope it's a good 6 weeks for you both. (())
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright