Meth can it affect your teeth?

Options
DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 5. Sep 2012, 16:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if Meth can affect your teeth?

I have been having all sorts of problems with my teeth over the past few months and its since I switched to Meth injections?

Are the two related or am I really pushing at straws here?

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It seems to as I have seen quite a few posts on facebook about this. Apparently you should let your dentist know that you are on methotrexate.

All the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello and sorry you are having problems with your teeth.

Not sure about whether meth is contributing or not, but just wondered whether you struggle with a dry mouth? I'm sorry but I can't remember which type of arthritis you have but I know that RA itself and some of the meds can cause a dry mouth which, in turn, can cause tooth and gum problems. I'm pretty sure that I have also read somewhere that RA can cause tooth problems but whether that's the disease process or the result of having a dry mouth long term I'm not sure.

I have Sjogrens Syndrome secondary to RA and I now use prescription "dry mouth" toothpaste and mouthwash which has made a huge difference to my oral health.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Tillyxxx
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hi debra,
    I had to stop taking Oramorph because it was affecting my teeth badly. I had to have two out and loads of fillings.
    I was told that many painkillers and arthritis meds are well known to give some people mouth problems including ulcers and tooth decay.
    For years I thought it was just the liquid due to a high sugar content. My nurse tells me though lots of drugs, particularly morphine/derivative and DMARDS are the worst.
    We just can't win... Joy
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Options
    This is interesting...my fella is really suffering with ulcers right now and he's had RA for 20 years, currently on sulfasalazine. He uses iglu which helps but I know it really gets him down.

Exploring this forum I feel like I'm getting all the answers to all my ponderings! Nx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    My dentist said that the dry mouth that often accompanies RA often leads to teeth problems. I have a cavity that needs feeling after I get my wisdom teeth removed and I was gutted as I'm so careful but I do suffer terribly with a dry mouth. Have you had infections? Cause the MTX could be the culprit.