RA plus raynauds

Options
lancslass43
lancslass43 Member Posts: 20
I am newly diagnosed with RA. It is thought that it is connected to the raynauds, which I've had for 40+ years. I'm very confused. Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My wife has had raynauds dor 74 years, and she doesn't have Arthur.
    I got raynauds 3 years ago after heart trouble, not from Arthur, but I am not an expert, and suggest you speak to your doctor.
    My understanding is that raynauds is a circulation problem.

Arfa
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lancslass,

I am a member of the forum, not the helplines.

I have read that Raynauds is a common problem for people with lupus erythematosus — an autoimmune disease that can affect many parts of your body, including your skin, joints, organs and blood vessels and that Raynauds may be an initial sign of rheumatoid arthritis — an inflammatory condition causing pain and stiffness in the joints, often including the hands and feet.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hi lancslass

The booklet we have on RA doesnt specifically mention it being connected to other conditions (see http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/RAbookletApril2010.pdf) though in the ARUK booklet on Raynaud's, it does mention that Raynauds can be primary (where it occurs on its own) or secondary, when its linked to another disease or condition (though it doesnt specifically mention RA). See http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/raynauds-phenomenon.aspx.

It may be worth posting this question on the Living with arthritis forum, as well as asking your rheumatologist next time you see them, as they may have more information on this.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines Team