tics less powerful some disappeared is that good?

PowerOn
PowerOn Member Posts: 200
Hi,
I used to get really powerful tics all over my body, they started in my face then went to my arms where they were quite strong (like someone poking you hard on your arm) they started slowly then spread, Last week my stomach twiched slightly which was new and weird, I did mention them to a nurse approx 5 years ago who just made a note and said nothing, I also said to a physiotherapist about one which was making my thumb move without my wanting it to, the physio massaged my neck and shoulder and the tic never came back.
It is not something I really brought to my doctors attention as the nurse and physio didn't seem too concerned.
Just wondering if the tics are worth worrying about, why would they go away, is that a good sign? I do excersice as I had noticed I was getting weak muscles and I think the excerise has helped.
Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear PowerOn,

Thank you for your post to Helplines. I'm afraid we don't have any information that mentions tics specifically in relation to arthritis.
    Apparently you can find information on tics on the NHS Choices website, but again I don't think it mentions arthritis.

I wonder whether there's a health professional you could talk to about this?

I hope that's helpful

Guy
  • PowerOn
    Hi Guy,
    Thank you for your reply, I have an appointment with a doctor in a few weeks time and have written down all the things that are concerning me as I forget to mention most of them when at the doctors.
    I will look on the website.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi PowerOn

I am a member of the forum. I understand that you have been diagnosed with spondylosis. Do you mean you suffer from tics or is it involuntary moments of parts of your body or something like that. I have spinal problems and when at rest, mainly in bed, but sometimes in the day,when sitting or a passenger in a car, some toes on my foot, never both feet together, but one or the other move involuntarily.Sometimes i get fluttering in other parts of my body too when at rest. I am under further investigation at the moment because I feel I have a few problems with my gait and will be having a full spinal mri to see if I have compression in othe areas of my spinal cord causing any of my problems. I have fairly recently undergone one op to sort out compression on my spinal cord in the neck area. Damage had already been done but the op was to prevent further damage in that area.

I hope your get some answers soon at your gp appointment.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • PowerOn
    Hi Elena,
    Yes I have spondylosis in my lumbar and neck with osteophytes in my neck.
    I mostly get tics or muscle twitches ( I like your "fluttering" word that suits very well) where just the muscle will move but not the whole muscle, for instance the ones in my arms will be just like someone poking me with a finger very hard, the movement is noticeable and rapid.
    This happens most often in the top of my arms but does happen everywhere, recently it has started at the side near the back of my knees.
    The time my thumb was moving was due to a muscle going into spasm according to the physio, I had whiplash at that time.
    I did used to have a leg that would kick on its own when I was sitting which is exactly what used to happen to my dad.
    That used to feel like a fly had just landed on my leg (there was a tickling sensation just before the leg would react) and I knew the leg was about to twitch and kick.
    May have been worse if sitting with my legs crossed which I don't do anymore as it hurts too many places with all the extra stretching.
    That has not happened for a long time thank goodness as it did look weird.
    I used to get tingling and pins and needles in my hands but the doctor said that was from the whiplsh and it has eased with physio.
    This morning I have a sensation in my left palm of tingling, also a little in my left fingers and my shoulder hurts a little.
    I hope your operation went smoothly with good results.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi PowerOn

Thank you for asking about my op at the top of my spine. The op went well but I was never guaranteed that all the symptoms I had pre op would go but the op would definitely stop my spinal cord in that area getting any thinner and causing more damage.I was told that it had all probably been going on for years. I find that some of my pre op symptoms have improved a little but I now feel that I have other symptoms lurking which I told the consultant about one year on from the op and so I am going to have a full spinal mri as he wishes to rule out compression elsewhere in my spine.

I would say that the "fluttering" sensations I sometimes get around my body when at rest are gentle and I do not think anyone can see any movement. (This is one of the symptoms that I told my consultant about at my last appointment, along with other new ones).

The foot and leg movement is sometimes quite strong, noticeable and it just happens - no warning except if the big toe or a couple or toes go into a cramp first and then the leg or foot "jerks". I do not like that sensation much. It can stop me getting to sleep or wakes me up. sometimes it happens in the day if I sit down.

I am no medic but to me it does sound like some of your symptoms are being caused by things going on with your spine. I did have pins and needles and numbness in my hands pre spinal op in the neck area, but now they only feel a little numb or a couple of the finger tips goes numb.

Have you had a full spinal MRI to see what is going on with your spine?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.