Hello - I'm another new user!

Paulinecarza
Paulinecarza Member Posts: 11
edited 13. Oct 2012, 06:22 in Say Hello Archive
Hello there - I have been diagnosed with seronegative RA and have been on Sulfasalazine since March which will hopefully slow things down.

I am struggling to find effective pain relief as I cannot take anti inflammatory drugs (they give me stomach cramps).

I can cope during the day (once I get going) but night time and early mornings are rough and I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep.

My consultant has today prescribed Amyltiptyline to take at night. Has anyone else taken this and has it helped?

Comments

• chrissiewissie
    chrissiewissie Member Posts: 75
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Pauline
    Welcome to the forum! I have OA and also can't take anti-inflammatories as I come out in hives!! Not pleasant I can tell you!!
    I'm sure there are others on here with a similar condition so go on the Living with Arthritis forum and ask a question. People on here are really friendly and more than willing to share their experiences and support with others.
    I hope you find the right meds and support and I'll see you around on the forum!
    Cx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Pauline

Wecolme to the forum I am pretty new here myself, you have come to a great place, you only need to browse through the threads and you will see how kind and supportive people are........I have OA and inflamation of sensory and autonomic nerves, sorry I don't know much about your condition, like yourself and everyone else that has chronic pain you do not get much sleep, I have had Amytriptiline in the past unfortunately it did not do too much for me but I have the weirdest body as it has taken them a long time to sort me out with meds, everyone is different give it a try and see how you go, hears hoping it works for you.....I am sure there will be others along soon to pitch in and I'm sure you will get addicted like the rest of us.....tc......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Pauline and welcome from me too. I have RA and take meth and hydroxy. Like you, I'm unable to take any more NSAIDS. I'm pretty lucky in that I get by with the odd couple of cocodamol - much more than that and I feel spaced out and unable to function properly. There are quite a lot of paindulling meds about though and different people get on with different ones. Why not have a word with your GP?

I've never done amitryp but, if you look on the Living With Arthritis forum, there's a thread on it (by knuckleduster) about halfway down the first page. I hope it will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Paulinecarza
    Thank you so much for your responses - I have never used a site like this before so was not sure what to expect. It is so good to be able to speak to such lovely friendly people who understand how you feel.

I'll check out the forum and let you know how I get on.

Have a good weekend.

Pauline x
  • stickywicket
    You too, Pauline. I think, for a lot of us, this is our first and only forum so we do understand where you're coming from :)
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    Thanks Pauline hope you have a great weekend also.....oh had a word with a Pharmacist friend re: amytrip they are definately non addictive I had not got round to reading the posts about it I take it you have now after sticky mentioned at least you have food for thought let us know how you go.......tc....Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am glad youy have found us. I haved a sero-neg form too, psoriatic arthritis, and I haved been on sulph for ten years now (which is something I've just found quite startling!) I find it keeps the psoriasis bit of my trouble at bay, for the arthritis I am on other stuff too. I hope the sulph does the trick for you so please let us know how you are getting on with it, yes? I am on three tablets twice a day - which remonds me, I'd better go and take the morning dose! I hope you have a good week-end, this was my first forum too - in fact it's my only one! Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Paulinecarza
    This is probably a silly question but here goes anyway!

It says on the Amitriptyline to avoid alcohol. Whilst I don't drink a lot, I occasionally have a glass of wine with a friend on a Thursday. Does anyone know if this will be safe or should I abstain altogether? I haven't many bad habits left so I'm trying to hang on to this one ha ha!

Pauline x
  • stickywicket
    I do empathise, Pauline. Wine is one of my favourite bad habits too.

I've never taken amitryp so can't comment on that. I take methotrexate and mixed advice is given re alcohol from not at all, through not on meth days to go carefully. However, with meth we have to have regular blood tests and part of them is liver function so we know if we're overdoing it.

There are several people on amitryp so, if you post this on the Living With Arthritis forum, I'm sure they'll be able to help. At the very least I'd suggest you steer clear of alcohol for a while until you know how the amitryp is affecting you. Better still, pick out your most empathetic GP and ask him/her.
    Steven Wright
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hello Pauline and welcome to the forum from me. Hope you will find it as helpful and supportive as I have. Everyone is so friendly. I can't take ani-infammatories either which does limit the possible meds. I have got a couple of anti-inflammatory pain relieving gels but don't find they do very much though I suppose they take the edge off when the pain is not too bad, but not when it decides to go beserk! Did try amitryp some time ago but got very back reaction from it (as I have with everything my GP has tried me with). I have OA and my back is badly affected. Am now on Butrans pain patches. My GP recently decided to increase the strength but got a bad reaction to that so am now back on the 'sort of medium' strength, if you know what I mean, but quite honestly they don't seem to make much difference. I take the maximum daily dose of Paracetamol, which as my GP says is the safest tablet around. The trouble is that it is not effective for severe/chronic pain. Do hope you will be able to find some relief soon. There seem to be so many of us with similar problems. Let us know how you get on. Beryl
  • Paulinecarza
    Hello Beryl

Lovely to hear from you. It does sound as though your toleration (or not as the case may be) to meds is very similar to mine.

I took the amitryp a couple of times and although it helped me get some rest it made me feel so grim the following day. I'm not sure if its a medication which you can take only occasionally but I don't fancy feeling like that every time.

My GP did say she had another painkiller which I could try and I am seeing her again next week so I'll let you know the outcome.

Take care, Pauline
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Hello

I'm also on Amitriptyline and have been for about three or four years. It's been prescribed for my fibromyalgia. I believe the reason why the instructions say to "avoid alcohol" is because the combination could make you very sleepy. As I'm taking the Amitriptyline to make me sleepy, I don't mind taking the odd glass of wine, or sometimes more. Sometimes the combination helps me sleep better, sometimes not.

Some people I know have been completely zonked out by the Amitriptyline and had rather too much sleep. I'm not sure whether it's helping me or not; I sleep badly but fear it would be even worse if not taking the Amitriptyline! It can make people feel "hung over" in the morning too. We all react differently to medication; see how it goes.

Shula
  • Paulinecarza
    Hello Jelly Simine and welcome...

I'm new too and put all my postings in the wrong place but somehow all these lovely folk seem to know what they're doing and find them!

Its good to be able to share and ask for advice from folk who really do understand.

Pauline
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hi Pauline. Hope you have more luck with your next GP appointment. Let us know how you get on. Beryl
  • Loulou11
    Loulou11 Member Posts: 86
    hi im new too but got some good tips for moving around in the car and doing the washing. i'm a RA so don't use your meds but like all of us sleep depravation is a right pain. I had two hours last night. anyway im glad you joined the forum and just take each day as it comes xx :P
  • villier
    Welcome JS very nice to meet you, if you go to the top left hand corner of the page and press new topic it will give you a new thread for you to introduce yourself hope to see you around..................Marie
    day is full of Smiles