Full-time work and medical appointments

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
As of next week, I'll be at university 2 days a week and on placement 3 days. I finish slightly earlier one day a week for supposed 'study time' but it's fast becoming filled up with various medical appointments. University have assured me that as long as I attend 75% of lectures and seminars, there won't be an issue. However, I'm anxious about missing out because even with the notes, it's just not the same. I also have to complete a certain number of placement days to successfully complete my degree. My degree is important to me but my health is too. So, I ask you please, my forum friends, how do you manage to balance your work life effectively?

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Starburst,

Can't remember what nature of disease you have, but I do know that if it's RA employers have to amke "reasonable adjustments", and presumably if that applies to you too the uni will need to be flexible- have you spoken to the student support services there? There's probably an enablement or equality officer who deals specifically with students with specific declared needs. I know that where my husband lectures he has to bend over backwards to accommodate all manner of individual needs, and often that will include giving them his own notes etc electronically, and giving dispensation from field trips, and even some exams.

What ever it takes, follow your dreams, we just have this one life to make the most of, and no doubt you have masses of potential and life experiences to bring to the table. Good luck with it all, exciting times ahead.

Deb x :P
  • Starburst
    Hi Deb,

I have RA and have just started a new drug hence the extra appointments and blood tests. I'm sure uni will be accomodating, they were last year but from my perspective, missing lectures and placement days is going to grind me down as I'm a bit of a perfectionist. However, I knew this would be tough for me, so I'll plough through.

Thank you so very much for your kind and helpful reply. :)
  • Starburst
    According to the policies of the organisation I am working for (3 days a week), I am entitled to take time off for my medical appts as I have a long term condition. I didn't think they'd make a fuss but knowing they have a policy about it reassures me. I've let my uni know that I will do my required days but may miss an hour or two for appts where necessary and they said, it's ok as long as I get my work done....which I will, of course!

These things have a way of working out nicely. :)
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Glad things are working out for you- good luck with the new treatment and the new term!!!! :)
    Deb