Mum's not coping well

Options
tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 9. Nov 2012, 17:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi folks. Some of you know what's happened with my Dad passing away in August. Mum stayed here with us a while and then a couple of weeks or so ago she went back home to Skeggy.
Well, she's been hiding how bad things have been from us all. We spoke to her on the phone on saturday and it all came out... She's not coping at all.. So, we packed a bag and drove down straight away. Brought her home with us on sunday. She doesn't think that she will be able to live down there in her own. It's such a shame as it's a lovely place to live and she's got lots of lovely neighbours..
We have told her to stay with us as long as she needs or wants to. She'll have to put her name on the council waiting list. Her house is a park home just down the road from fantasy islands in skeggy, it's a lovely place but they're not selling well at all.. Especially at this time of the year, so it may take quite a while to sell.. At least she knows she's more than welcome here.

I love my mum dearly and hate to see her suffering.. Dad's loss has been extremely hard on us all but mum the most of course.

We are still waiting for a response from the trust. In our eyes they were very neglectful in the first instance, which caused him to have to have emergency surgery and a stoma bag..
It's a long story and difficult one to tell.

I just needed to write it down and get it out..

This is all very raw for me still.

Sorry for harping on.
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah Tony

Sorry your mum is not coping , it is hard especially when they have been together a long time , This will be the hardest time for her as she is on her own .
    Hope she picks up soon , you are a good son , hope mine turns out just like you .

karen xxx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Dear Tony, it's still early days, you are all still reeling from the shock and sadness of it all.
    Your mum is lucky in as much as she has such a loving, caring son.
    You will get through this together, but it takes time. You're doing all the right things, being there for your mum, is the best thing you can do.
    Thinking of you all,
    Numpty
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Tony no need for sorry you rant on all you want, hopefully it makes you feel a wee bit better, your mum is lucky to have such a lovely son, as the saying goes time is a great healer, it takes some of us a little bit longer than others, I am sure you will gain strength from one another.......tc.......Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Aww Tony..I do feel for all of you, and your poor mum will feel so lonely without your dad, but if I could give one piece of advice..it would be that she takes some time to think about things, my dad who is no longer with us nearly gave up his home when my mum died...he kept on coming and going between us and his house, till one day he decided he could stay at home.
    I am so glad she has you to stay with,while she has time to think,all you can do is look after one another xxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    aaaww Tony, such a shame for all of you :-(
    its not a good situation is it...........we lost my father n law back in August this year and Mum isnt coping that great either......because she spent so long caring for dad, she has lost contact with most of her old chums.
    its fortunate she live very nearby so all the family can pop in to keep an eye on her (shes 78)

i so feel for you all in this situation, and as you say places arent selling at this time of year........ :-(
    fingers crossed you will all find a way through this

bless you xxxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thank you girls. Xx

Barbara, I think it'll take a long time to sell anyway so she'll still have chance to change her mind.
    I am so grateful to you all..
    Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it so early for her to make any decisions bless her she must not know if she coming or going and she might feel different come summer it is a lovely site and would be shame if she could not keep van on but quite understand how she must feel to be there alone with out him so no rush wait till she feeling stronger and more sure of what she wants give her hug and tell her you love her (as know you do) and to take it a day at a time no rush val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options
    It was easier for me Tony - my Mum was really close by and l saw her every day after my Dad went.

If she wants to move nearer to you all I get it :( and yes let's hope she can get housed close by.

Love to her and you all too

Toni xxx
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hey Tony. Just wanted to say that it must be a difficult time for you. Your Mum is so lucky to have you and your OH. I think of all the people there are who loose someone and have no one to help and support them. They must be so lonely.Its so sad.

7Worlds
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    thank you girls. Xx
    Barbara, I think it'll take a long time to sell anyway so she'll still have chance to change her mind.
    I am so grateful to you all..
    Xx

Dear Tony,

I am so sorry to hear that your mum is not coping too well but that is only to be expected. She is so lucky to have such a caring son and family. In a way it may be a blessing in disguise that her home may take a while to sell because as Barbara says, given time she could well change her mind about where she would like to live. I have heard from various sources it is a good idea if at all possible, to wait at least a year before making any set decisions.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Its very early days Tony, you all need to grieve then remember the fun times. Time is a great healer and you will all get through this , my heart goes out to you and your family. Chin up, things always sort themselves out in the end xx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thank you Elna,Walli.. I really appreciate the replies :D

I'm sure we will get there in the end, as you've said, it's very early days yet.
    We were all very close.. Spent a lot of time together even though mum n dad lived at skeggy. We stayed with them, they always stayed with us even though I have more brothers here in Leeds.
    We went on holidays together all the time too. He could be hard work, but then again maybe I was to him.. I was always on at him to have his heart checked, but he wouldn't..
    Anyway, I digress...

Thank you all once again..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Tony it's great what your doing for your mom, and she obviously doesn't want to be in her home anymore, I don't need to explain why. She needs to be with you where she feels loved or close to you and feels Skeggy holds memories of her husband which feel to raw at the moment. I'm sure you feel the same as you where all close as you say. As you say the housing market is rock bottom and houses aren't selling and it will get slower now Christmas is coming (I used to work at an estate agents!) So if she wants to sell the house you could put it on the market and if she changes her mind she can always take it off the market. I know you feel it's a shame she wants to sell it but maybe she feels she needs a complete change now she's on her own, I say that because when my MIL passed away and Dad was on his own he decided to completely re-decorate the house top to bottom! Changed the look completely. Being together will help you all get through the raw pain. All you can do is be there for your mom. You take care Tony. Big (((HUGS))) to you & Jan and fuss to the big white dope. xx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Sorry to hear your mum is struggling Tony,it is indeed a difficult time after the loss of a loved one.It is good that she has you and Janet to help her at this time,you will all be very emotional so please take things slowly.She is lucky that she has a caring son and daughter in law.Only time will help ease the pain a little.(((( ))))
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thank you bubbster, diamond :wink:
    We went to see mi grandma today (mum's mum) she has a touch of dementia.. She waited until mum was out of the room and asked where mi dad was.. Again.. Bless her. It's like she knows that something is wrong but can't remember what. Then she just burst into tears when mum came back. When mum asked her why she said 'i don't want to tell you' like she knew, then when mum started to cry she said.. What are you crying for?
    She's wonderful is Grandma.. Mum left the room again and she said.. Where's tommy? lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi Tony - I'm sorry to hear your mum is struggling. As everyone has said, it is understandable, it is still very early days and it must still be such a shock.

She is so lucky to have you there. I'm still thinking of you all.

Susie
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thanks hun. That's very kind of you :wink:

Aaaarrgh... I should be sleeping now but the joints have other ideas :x everything is buzzing away furiously... Just want it to stop so I can get some sleep :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Christimay
    Christimay Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi tony it was so touching what you said about your mam and gran, she is maybe old, but obviously felt your mums pain, and was crying for her because she sensed something, it does take time tony I know you are probably sick hearing that and reading it, my mum stayed with me for 6 months when my dad died,I'm not sure that was good for her because she had to go back to her house on her own, coming from my house with four kids and two dogs, she must have been lost, just support your mam tony and give her hug when she needs it, personally I think your mam must be so proud of you for caring so much and your dad probably knew that you would look after her but you have to grieve as well tony I couldn't when my mam was here but tony just try and get a rest when needed and don't wear yourself out wishing you well and thinking of your mam.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thank you hun... Xx
    Christimay wrote:
    Hi tony it was so touching what you said about your mam and gran, she is maybe old, but obviously felt your mums pain, and was crying for her because she sensed something, it does take time tony I know you are probably sick hearing that and reading it, my mum stayed with me for 6 months when my dad died,I'm not sure that was good for her because she had to go back to her house on her own, coming from my house with four kids and two dogs, she must have been lost, just support your mam tony and give her hug when she needs it, personally I think your mam must be so proud of you for caring so much and your dad probably knew that you would look after her but you have to grieve as well tony I couldn't when my mam was here but tony just try and get a rest when needed and don't wear yourself out wishing you well and thinking of your mam.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Tony, your Mum is bound to be still feeling the shock of your Dad's death, as you all are. I'm sure that she feels the need to be with her family at present to help her to come to terms with her loss. You are a very good son to your mother, and I'm sure that time will help her to decide what to do for the best. In the meantime, you are doing everything that you possibly can by supporting and helping her. Take care of yourself too, won't you?
    Thinking of you all
    Joan ((((( ))))))
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm sorry you and your family are having to go through this pain.

I would think your Mum wants to be near her remaining loved ones. Her present home will no longer feel the same without your Dad.

One word of warning and sorry to be practical when you feel so upset but will the council re-house her if she has sold a property she previously owned? They don't usually rehouse and they expect people to live off the proceeds of any sale so this cause an issue with any means- tested benefits she will receive.

I just wanted you to be aware as this could cause even more upset.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,937
    Options
    Hello Tony Janet and Tonys Mum
    i just want to wish you all the best
    ((((((((Tony Janet Tony's Mum))))))))
    joan sue xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thanks ladies... Xx
    E.. She has a park home, they're really not selling well and to be honest, she's not gonna get much from it after the sale, thank you for mentioning though hun.. X

Mum's in primrose valley with my younger brother and his family. Spoke to her earlier, she's had a good day today, the kids are a great distraction.. :D

Once again, thanks for the replies... :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Thinking of you all.Mig
  • tjt6768