Arthritis, work and benefits

teresagrove
teresagrove Member Posts: 35
Hi - not been on here for a while but maybe you can help?

I am a teacher and my 'arthritis journey' began in earnest 3 years ago.

I had a THR in Feb 2010.

It has now been discovered that I have severe degenerative arthritis in both hips / knees/ back/ankles/ wrists.

I am in a lot of pain and discomfort at all times - taking tramadol for pain.

Since my THR, I have had 6 fluoroscopically guided injections into the hip joint not yet replaced and into bursitis in my thigh, a labral repair and femoral head decompression - only partly achieved as not enough cartilage present and a knee arthroscopy which determined that I also need a TKR in the near future.

I have been off work since May when Occupational Health decided that I am not fit to work due to the nature of my disease and that I have to be considered under the Equality Act.
Although my GP gave me a 'may be fit to work' certificate on Sept 3rd - my school refused to have me back on Health and Safety grounds due to the number of stairs within the building. (no lift)

OH have said that I am fit to teach 1:1 or in small groups but not whole class teaching.

School have said that they cannot keep me on fulltime on that basis - so where do I go from here and are there any benefits that I can claim.

I have been teaching for 34 years so this is a very hard blow for me.

Many thanks

Teresa

Comments