Metal on metal hip replacement

jan50ish
jan50ish Member Posts: 47
edited 7. May 2014, 12:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondered, did anyone see the newsnight prog last night,long article re problem with some metal on metal hip replacements. Is there anyone who has one and if so have your started your check ups. If you are not sure what type of replacements you have its important that you find out and start being monitored.

Jan

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jan

A thread entitled Replacement Problems was started by tonesp on 29 January about this.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jan50ish
    Hi Elna, I had spent ages looking for that post. Once I saw the title of it it was easy peasy so thanks for coming on and reminding me about. I had made some replies then. The prog last night was along the lines of the Telegraph article in January,but with some updates. The advice now is for annual reviews and blood tests for the life of the joint and not for five years. Ironically at my last review I was told that if the next set of tests were ok they would be my last,but I decided that I would insist on them being continued. I am worried that I would not recognised any new symptoms because of my ongoing problems. One of the things that was discussed last night was the lack of trials of any implant. They just get something like the Kite mark and in your body they go.;Jan
  • jan50ish
    Nearly a year on, I have just had my review and consultant tells me that I will have annual renewals. This time had the works xray,bloods,MRI and ultra sound as I am getting more pain. My metal on metal replacements are beginning to show signs of degrading and he advised replacing them but as in all these things the final decision is mine. The first op planned at the beginning of March and the second eight to twelve weeks after. I know lots of people who have had hip replacements but no-one who has had a revisions. Doc says similiar recovery as first time round...but I would like to hear that straight from the horses mouth so to speak. :?:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Jan

I AM sorry you are going to have to have more new hips :(

I have no personal experience either, but woukd like to offer my support and you know you'll get it from everyone else on here too :) So please do keep us up to date.

I hope someone with some more experience happens along soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Right, ok, now I am worrying.

I had a hip replacement just over 18 months ago. I did have complications but over the last 8 months have been back to my gp because when I bend over I hear grinding of metal on metal. It makes me feel sick. The gp sent me for x-rays and she said that everything was in alinement and ok, that some people do experience this after.

I have notice now that I can be standing there, take the weight of my operated leg and its as if I feel the new joint moving in the new socket.

I had a 6week check up, never had any further dealings with hospital at all.

Not sure if I need to really worry and get some more information.
    Karen xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    jan50ish wrote:
    I know lots of people who have had hip replacements but no-one who has had a revisions. Doc says similiar recovery as first time round...but I would like to hear that straight from the horses mouth so to speak. :?:

I've not had a hip revision but I've had a knee one. I know it's a very long implant which necessitated bone grafts and carries an ongoing greater risk of infection but I've had no trouble at all with it and it looks beautiful on x-rays.

I have RA (everywhere :roll: ) so I'm never going to put it under enormous pressure but I could do my straight leg raises the day after the op (I exercised a lot beforehand) and was out of hospital at more or less the same time as those having first TKRs. Not only would I do it again but I will once my 31 yr old TKR on the other leg packs in.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jan50ish
    Thanks for your replies Toni and Stickywicket, I will let you know how things go. Karen I am so sorry that I have got you worrying, do you know what your hip is made of. As I said, mine are both metal. The manufacturers did a recall in 2010 as there had been reportsof them failing early. I read about it in a newspaper before my GP had any info. It is a specific make of implants ( not sure if I am allowed to name names here) As you had your hip replacement only 18 months ago I would think it unlikely that you have this type. Please try not to worry which is easier said than done. Next time you see your GP ask about it. If you are not seeing GP for a while, leave a message. :(
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Thanks for replying so quickly. I was a bit concerned. But as you said, the recall was 2010. I shall calm down now.

To be honest, feel a bit silly now. But, there you go. :oops:

Hope you get yourself sorted out real quick.
    Karen xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jan
    I think you might be referring to a certain make of hip...sorry I have forgotten what its called ...if not this is very worrying and for bringing it to our attention..
    I do wish you well and please let us know what happens xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • jan50ish
    Yes Barbara it is aparticular make and model and I would assume that people who have had them would have heard from the National Hip Registry .( I didn't realise there was one ) I asked my original question because I don't know anyone who has had revisions and I was wondering about things like recovery time extra. The awful white stockings and the pumpy things on you feet............oops a shiver just went my spine just thinking about it. ughhh :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jan its the DePuy ASR hip implant...they are now banned from using them, sorry I cant help with the recovery, I haven 't got that far yet... :shock: x
    Love
    Barbara
  • jan50ish
    Yes that is the ones, I could have named them earlier but was not sure if we could name names...I must try and follow some threads and learn the whys and wherefores :lol:
  • jan50ish
    I had my first revisiion on March 1st and there was some localised tissue and muscle damage so recovery will be longer. Now the plan is to build up some some muscle strength and then having the left one done in about 6 months. At the moment on crutches and only partially weight bearing. :roll:
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Hi jan50ish
    Have just found your post, and was wondering how your new hips are settling in a year or more later.
    I have just found out I will need a revision as I have a metal on metal implant which is causing problems. Not looking forward to it! (yes, those lovely white pressure stockings...)

Hope you are now doing fine.
    Take care.
    JeannieP