just had total knee replacement

gayebrown
gayebrown Member Posts: 16
edited 25. Feb 2013, 06:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi finally got my knee replacement on 12th Feb. Was in hospital 3 days and now home and finding my feet again, slowly. I am struggling doing the physio due to the pain (I have had a slight infection), also struggling with sleep as I keep waking up every 3-4 hours in pain. Finally had a less painful night last night. Can't straighten my knee still. Would love to hear from fellow patients with experience. Feels like 1 step forward, 2 back at the moment. However, today I feel good and actually have a little less pain :)

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Gaye

Well-done you. Now it's done you can take your time recovering. Please don't worry too much just go at your own pace try to do your exercises a little at a time and you should get there. We are all different - when I had my back done I was so behind everyone else a small thing like an infection can set you back. I felt such a failure :oops: and sleeping was hard for a very long time, but DOES eventually return to 'normal'.

I hope you will have physio soon?? to help you and give you reassurance.

There are two folks on LWA who have just had knee opps so you should see them over there.

Don't be suprrised if the mods move your thread over there where more people will see it.

Love and gentle ((()))

Toni xxx
  • gayebrown
    thanks Toni, I am worried as they kept stressing how important to get my leg straight, just tried again but the pain is stopping me. Am waiting for an out patient physio appointment, also seeing the surgeon again Tuesday so will see what he says on my progress. Dressing comes off tomorrow :)

The other day I managed to walk without sticks and felt great but since this infection started it has stopped my progress. Happily it seems to be clearing up, will see what's there when they take off the dressing tomorrow.

This morning I actually woke up quite comfortable, but now I've been up and about it si hurting again. Trying to reduce the pain killers as we,, but taken today so I can try and do the physio ! Back to bed I think !

Gaye x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    HI Gaye

That infection has certainly put you back I think and maybe you need to be kinder to yourself :? . I would take my pain killers if I were you - time enough to get off them when things are recovered more.

Sounds like pre-infection things were better so all being well they will be again...walking without sticks is brilliant!

Are you still supposed to ice the new knee at this stage?? I am no expert, but wondered if it might help a bit ease the pain?

I am sure you are progressing ok, but at least the consultant will pick up on it if you aren't on Tuesday.

Put your feet up and rest a bit now

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello gaye. I've been down the replacement route and I've also read many threads on here from others who have. We are all different in our recoveries but I think the essential things, in the early days, are rest and exercise.

The infection will have knocked you back slightly but the best person to advise you is your surgeon so a Tuesday appointment is good. I hope he'll expedite your physio appointment as they should be keeping an eye on you at this stage. I was able to ring my ward to have a chat with the physio if needed. Do make sure he knows where you're at with things.

As frogmorton has said, there are a few recent TKR people on the Living With Arthritis forum. Maybe you could update us all on Tuesday over there. I think they'd be more likely to see your thread there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi

If you have only had your replacement on 12th February then it is still very early days plus you have had an infection....You were in hospital 3 days which was good, I was in 8 days with mine last october as I needed blood transfusion and was anaemic.....The straightening knee will come, its the exercise with the towel rolled up under knee you need to work on and remember take painkillers before exercising too.....The sleeping, I had that too in the early days, used to groan lots and was up at 8 every morning...
    Anything that's worrying you get back in touch with GP or hospital whatever route that may be, with me it is the arthroplasty practitioner...

Good luck

Elainexx
    gayebrown wrote:
    Hi finally got my knee replacement on 12th Feb. Was in hospital 3 days and now home and finding my feet again, slowly. I am struggling doing the physio due to the pain (I have had a slight infection), also struggling with sleep as I keep waking up every 3-4 hours in pain. Finally had a less painful night last night. Can't straighten my knee still. Would love to hear from fellow patients with experience. Feels like 1 step forward, 2 back at the moment. However, today I feel good and actually have a little less pain :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Gaye
    Sorry I cant help with any advice, but I just want to add my support and I am sure you will get there with the support of others on here x
    Love
    Barbara
  • gayebrown
    thank you everyone for your replies. I feel a bit better today - taking pain killers regularly now, still waking up 3/4 times a night but feel rested :D
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Be kind to yourself Gaye it is still early days.Remember to use ice it helped me a lot i used frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel.Physio is essential to aid recovery and pain dullers to help with pain.I had two replacements in less than six months still recovering yet due to achilles tendonitis and oesteo in both ankles which has held me back.I wish you well in your recovery.