End of an era....

Options
deedeeitsme
deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
edited 1. Mar 2013, 11:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Some of you might have heard of the fire at Daw Mill Colliery on friday where over 90 miners were evacuated. My husband was one of these miners who was underground when the fire started (like an inferno was how he described it!!). The mine is subsequently closed now and may not (probably will not) open again. Luckily everyone was evacuated safely thank goodness. Some of the miners there are in their sixtys and will struggle to find employment now. My husband was a contractor so his employment has now finished so he is actively looking for a job and my ESA finished at the beginning of february so nothing will be coming in! We are fortunate that we have savings and can ride things out for a while. I am going to look for some kind of weekend work as I will be looking after my granddaughter for 4 days a week and I couldn't do full time any way. My husband is a worker and I have no doubt that he will find something, no matter what, to keep the roof over our heads.

Take care all. Dee x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Dee I hadn't heard of this...how very sad, its only days ago I was saying to my OH how they should have kept our mines open....they were the backbone of this country....I can go back 5 generation of mining in our family...and very proud of them....xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Oh, I am so sorry. I to have not heard of this. I am sorry that you and hubby will have to break into you're savings. It doesn't seem fare. And hubby at the time must have been frightened. I do so admire the miners, going down under ground.

I really hope that he is able to get another job and that not to much of you're saving have to be touched.

Please keep us informed on how things are going for you.
    Karen xx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Thank the Lord your Hubby is ok. I hope a new job comes around soon.

Love Kate x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I heard about this on the radio - the main thing is that your man is safe and sound. I hope he is able to find some work soon - I would hope that there would be some sort of financial package put in place for those who have so suddenly lost their employmenmt but I guess that's me living in cloud-cuckoo land. Again, thank heavens he's safe. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    So glad your hubby is safe, hopefully he will get something soon, terrible you have to rely on savings to pay the bills, keeping fingers crossed for you.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Oh dee

I am so sorry about his job, but am so glad he is ok.

The mines closed here in Staffordshire many years ago now and the area hasn't really recovered from their loss.

I do hope your husband can find something he is interested in.

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm so sorry, what a mess. I had read about this but the press was focused on the fire, not on the human and social repercussions. Mining has always struck me as something for the brave, I'd be terrified. I'm glad that nobody was hurt but it sounds like much pain will have been caused despite that. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies....Fortunately he is back in employment :D . Tuesday morning he had decided that he would contact all his friends, ex work mates etc and see if they knew of any work going. He has always left any job on good terms and has remained in contact with friends he has made through different employment. Any hoo, he has been offered 2 jobs :o . He is helping one of his friends out who owns his own HGV repair business (hubby is also a qualified HGV technician) starting yesterday and has also been offered work with the mining contract firm he was currently working for, but this time it is pit top work, in a workshop repairing/refurbing mining machinery for companies worldwide.The workshop job starts in 3-4 weeks so he is going to help his friend till then and then decide which way he wants to go. Sooo relieved.

Take care all. Dee x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wow, that was quick and well done to your man. I hope that he enjoys his new work and that his final decision proves to be the right one for him. He has a strong work ethic for sure. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Fantastic news Dee

well done him and I am so pleased for both of you :D

love

Toni xxx
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Thank you all again for your replies....yes DD his work ethic is exemplary, a fact that I am grateful for. As a miner and then a contract miner he has been in this position more than once but has always managed to find work so I don't know why I worry really but you do don't you? I've got appointments at hospital and doctors next week and the week after so have just booked Dads Taxis :lol: . I don't know what I'd do without him.

Take care Dee x