Metal on metal hip replacements

GILL50
GILL50 Member Posts: 2
:( I have just found out that there may be issues with my metal on metal hip replacement. I have been in pain for three weeks and have had X rays and blood tests to check whether the inflammation is caused by metal fragments in my blood.

This has all come as a real shock and now await an appointment to see my consultant this week for test results.

Is there anything that you can suggest that I ask when I see my consultant?

Many thanks

Gill

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    GILL50 wrote:
    :( I have just found out that there may be issues with my metal on metal hip replacement. I have been in pain for three weeks and have had X rays and blood tests to check whether the inflammation is caused by metal fragments in my blood.

This has all come as a real shock and now await an appointment to see my consultant this week for test results.

Is there anything that you can suggest that I ask when I see my consultant?

Many thanks

Gill

Dear Gill

Thank you for your posting. I am sorry this has been such a shock to you but try not to worry, talking through the results of your tests and options for the future with your consultant may be a way forward. They will be able to advice on appropriate follow-up procedures. The National Joint Registry has information on metal on metal hip replacements that include some frequently asked questions from patients that can be found on the link http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/njrcentre/MetalonMetalHipImplants/tabid/237/Default.aspx#Patient_FAQs. You can also always call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through. I hope that this is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn