It's a small world!

katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 29. Apr 2013, 14:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well this evening after school we had a parents meeting regarding next years trip to France ( this year's year 6' s haven't even gone yet!). After the meeting I got talking to one of the teacher's who will be going with them and she ( Miss Lewis) had a slight Irish accent. So I asked her where she came from and she said she had lived on the west and east coasts of Ireland. When pushed she told me she lived north of Dublin but went to school in Drogheda. I grew up near Drogheda. So I asked which school and she said Drogheda Grammar -NO WAY!! That's where I went to school! Now the great thing about the school was it's size 180 pupils in the whole school. Although she is a few years younger than me we both had the same teachers for several subjects.

I'm sure there must be a mathematical formula to give me the odds on this happening but the chances of 2english girls moving to Ireland in the 1970's and going to the same small school in a 'foreign' country must be very slim.

It made me all nostalgic but sadly it made Sarah all embarrassed - I mean it is sooo uncool for your Mum and teacher to go to the same school and talk and laugh about it together! Her street cred has just nose dived at a great rate of knots.

Love Kate x

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    It is a small world isn't it :wink:
    What I remember about Drogheda was coming over the border from the North....{many many years ago before the euro} buying things eg petticoats and putting them on or a blouse and putting it on over mine and smuggling them across the border lol :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Kate like the say the odds on that happening would be massive...its fascinates me when things like this happen....its has though these things are meant to be... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Yes Barbara it had a sense of that - and I remember that people would come from the North to buy stuff but quite a few would go to the North to get things too. I last went home in November last year and Drogheda has changed so much. It's no longer the little Market town it used to be. Shame really.

Love Kate x
  • hileena111
    Its sad when things change isn't it.
    I'm going over to the North on Wednesday.....Belfast has changed for the better but so many "once small places" are now housing estates and have large dual carriageways etc.
    Oh well....I suppose things have to change
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    :lol:

Poor Sarah kate!!!

Lovely to hear your's and Hileena's memories there :wink:
  • hileena111