Stairs

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 30. Apr 2013, 06:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I posted this week how my 6 month old knee is getting much better in terms of walking further and sleeping in foetal position, kneeling...One thing however I am finding difficulty with and in Dunelm Mill yesterday my mum and dad saw and were disappointed in is STAIRS!....
I decided to not take the lift and use the stairs, now I do go up them slowly but manage it all the same, my mum who is 82 however said she could have overtaken me. On the way down I find it difficult to use both legs and allow the bend in the new knee to become a flowing movement, its too sore and stiff...The assistant in the shop even shouted to me to use the lift cos I looked so pathetic!
I do live in a bungalow with only 2 steps in it so could this be why I'm so rubbish at steps? Anyone have any thoughts? Its just this last hurdle to conquer mind you..

Elainexx

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As someone who hates using lifts, I tend to use the stairs as much as possible, in order to keep the knee moving and to get much needed exercise, but the pain has made it almost unbearable lately.

There is a lot more movement and weight bearing when using stairs. I do find walking backwards does not hurt the knees as much but any movement still has to be done slowly and carefully to lessen the pain.

I think it was important to try out your knee on stairs but it will take time and as you live in a bungalow it probably hasn't had much practice.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

Yes the bungalow won't be helping as it doesn't give me the practice I need. I would have to find a set of steps to use to go up and down at least half a dozen times.
    Me folks thought as I do all my exercises and go to hydrotherapy, the gym etc, were surprised at how "disabled" (their words) I was yesterday..

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    As someone who hates using lifts, I tend to use the stairs as much as possible, in order to keep the knee moving and to get much needed exercise, but the pain has made it almost unbearable lately.

There is a lot more movement and weight bearing when using stairs. I do find walking backwards does not hurt the knees as much but any movement still has to be done slowly and carefully to lessen the pain.

I think it was important to try out your knee on stairs but it will take time and as you live in a bungalow it probably hasn't had much practice.

Elizabeth xx
  • loovechocolate
    loovechocolate Member Posts: 77
    Oh Elaine don’t fret it will come slowly slowly catchy monkey, the hare and tortoise remember. I still down stairs 2 feet, you know what I mean does it really matter it will come getting out and about is what matters moving about is what matters I cannot walk down stairs normally yet but I am now quicker than I was before my TKR when I walked down normally, please please take this post as a hug practise going in and out your back door if knee bend climbing is important to you it will come with time and patience. I have been lucky with my consultant who is a sweetie I saw him 3 weeks ago for my 12 month check and he said something which is very true – I was going on about what I can’t do and what others say they can do and he said – remember people lie to big themselves up my little tortoise you keep doing what you’re doing and I’ll see you in 6 months and I bet you’ll chase me down the corridor.
    Your only 6 months remember recovery is from 12 to 18 months
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Stairs are one of the hardest things to be able to manage after TKR, and going down is much harder than going up. If you don't have stairs at home it is also difficult to get your legs working to be able to do stairs. My knee is only a couple of weeks younger than yours, but I have a 12 step staircase at home that I still struggle up and down, especially in the mornings. I also work on the 2nd floor at work and make myself go up and down both flights (48 steps) once per day. It is getting easier, but it is still difficult.

So, don't worry, it'll come. One legged squats will help (but don't over do it!)
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Elaine I am sure you will get the stairs through time, as you say you have only two at the house and it is still early days..........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Lovechocolate

I know i think I am a tortoise too, guess I thought I was doing well going up and down the stairs yesterday but me folks thought I was very bad....I never thought about it being an issue before and overall I am happier that I have got most aspects of this new knee working pretty well...It is 6 months down the line, that operation seems an age away now....
    Thanks for the support...

Elainexx
    Oh Elaine don’t fret it will come slowly slowly catchy monkey, the hare and tortoise remember. I still down stairs 2 feet, you know what I mean does it really matter it will come getting out and about is what matters moving about is what matters I cannot walk down stairs normally yet but I am now quicker than I was before my TKR when I walked down normally, please please take this post as a hug practise going in and out your back door if knee bend climbing is important to you it will come with time and patience. I have been lucky with my consultant who is a sweetie I saw him 3 weeks ago for my 12 month check and he said something which is very true – I was going on about what I can’t do and what others say they can do and he said – remember people lie to big themselves up my little tortoise you keep doing what you’re doing and I’ll see you in 6 months and I bet you’ll chase me down the corridor.
    Your only 6 months remember recovery is from 12 to 18 months
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Chookgate

I wonder why the stairs are the hardest thing to master but at least on here I don't feel its just me it is a common problem for other TKR's....I will try and use steps when I can but like I said the house has two steps to go in and that's it....Havent tried squats yet...

Elainexx
    chookgate wrote:
    Stairs are one of the hardest things to be able to manage after TKR, and going down is much harder than going up. If you don't have stairs at home it is also difficult to get your legs working to be able to do stairs. My knee is only a couple of weeks younger than yours, but I have a 12 step staircase at home that I still struggle up and down, especially in the mornings. I also work on the 2nd floor at work and make myself go up and down both flights (48 steps) once per day. It is getting easier, but it is still difficult.

So, don't worry, it'll come. One legged squats will help (but don't over do it!)
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Marie

I suppose it is early days to others to me seems a lifetime ago I had the operation....I will practise and if it comes it does, if not won't give meself a hard time...

Elainexx
    villier wrote:
    Elaine I am sure you will get the stairs through time, as you say you have only two at the house and it is still early days..........Marie x
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    I find squats really hard and a bit painful, but I'm sure some of that is due to my weight :wink:

My physio suggested an exercise to help with stairs and that is to stand on one step and try to keep your hips level whilst bending the new knee to lower your other foot towards the next step (or floor). You can do it frontways - ie as if you were about to walk down the step, or sideways. It's hard, and I don't do it as much as I should. The main thing she said was to try not to drop your hip in order to reach the next step.

I think even without specifically attempting stairs, eventually the muscles will be stronger anyway, and given time stairs will be easy without having tried!
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    "I think even without specifically attempting stairs, eventually the muscles will be stronger anyway, and given time stairs will be easy without having tried!"

From my experience, I disagree. I've found that things I can't do don't get any easier unless I find (or invent) an exercise and specifically practice. Then they improve, and quite fast. (I'm thinking about getting up from kneeling in my case, but the specific example is actually irrelevant.)

Elaine, if you have two steps in the house, you can practice going up and down them many times. It sounds like that's what you need to do. If it were me, I'd do ten on each leg (unless that's too painful), up and down, three times a day. I bet it'll work!
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    I agree with other post about hare and tortoise.Regarding tkr we all recover differently,some quick some slower.There are also other factors such as other health problems to take into account.I believe that you have other areas that cause concern Elaine so it would not help.I myself find stairs difficult and it is a year today since my second tkr.I have had Achilles tendonitis in both heels and oesteo in both ankles so it is holding me back.I have recently been going to sports physio for deep massage on knees and ankles.At first agony now swelling getting better.I know it is not easy but keep going.I even went paddling in sea last week to help swelling, salt water supposed to help got few strange looks as it was freezing.Hope you are feeling better today?
  • elainebadknee
    Chookgate

I don't know if squats would help have never been great at them even before my knee operations....I am going to physio tomorrow for my hip bursitis maybe they will advise on knee too?

Elainexx

chookgate wrote:
    I find squats really hard and a bit painful, but I'm sure some of that is due to my weight :wink:

My physio suggested an exercise to help with stairs and that is to stand on one step and try to keep your hips level whilst bending the new knee to lower your other foot towards the next step (or floor). You can do it frontways - ie as if you were about to walk down the step, or sideways. It's hard, and I don't do it as much as I should. The main thing she said was to try not to drop your hip in order to reach the next step.

I think even without specifically attempting stairs, eventually the muscles will be stronger anyway, and given time stairs will be easy without having tried!
  • elainebadknee
    Helen

I can go upstairs very slowly but downstairs it just doesn't flow. Whether it will given time who knows? It is juts 6 months so can suck it and see what happens...

Elainexx
    "I think even without specifically attempting stairs, eventually the muscles will be stronger anyway, and given time stairs will be easy without having tried!"

From my experience, I disagree. I've found that things I can't do don't get any easier unless I find (or invent) an exercise and specifically practice. Then they improve, and quite fast. (I'm thinking about getting up from kneeling in my case, but the specific example is actually irrelevant.)

Elaine, if you have two steps in the house, you can practice going up and down them many times. It sounds like that's what you need to do. If it were me, I'd do ten on each leg (unless that's too painful), up and down, three times a day. I bet it'll work!
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Diamond

I don't reallyhave other concerns apart from my hip bursitis so wonder if that is making a difference/hampering me? I go to hydrotherapy twice a week don't think could bear Lake Windermere when its this cold!

Elainexx
    diamond wrote:
    I agree with other post about hare and tortoise.Regarding tkr we all recover differently,some quick some slower.There are also other factors such as other health problems to take into account.I believe that you have other areas that cause concern Elaine so it would not help.I myself find stairs difficult and it is a year today since my second tkr.I have had Achilles tendonitis in both heels and oesteo in both ankles so it is holding me back.I have recently been going to sports physio for deep massage on knees and ankles.At first agony now swelling getting better.I know it is not easy but keep going.I even went paddling in sea last week to help swelling, salt water supposed to help got few strange looks as it was freezing.Hope you are feeling better today?