Toddler with arthritus

Options
Bethliz
Bethliz Member Posts: 44
Hi. My little girl was recently diagnosed with arthritus. She was given a steroid injection which made a massive improvement but the doctors are still concerned. They are recommending methatrixate (hope ive spelled that right) I am very anxious about this as I am very worried about the side effects on such a young child, she will be 2 in July. I would be very grateful for some advice.
Many thanks
Bethliz

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello BethLiz. I'm not a member of the Helpline team, just an ordinary forum member but I have had RA since I was 15 and have children and grandchildren of my own so my heart goes out to you.

Methotrexate is the usual starting drug for both adults and children. It does sound a bit scary if you read the potential side-effects but we all have to remember that they are just that - potential. I'd be reluctant to start my little grandsons on meth but I'd be even more reluctant to NOT start them on it if they had arthritis. Your little one will be very well monitored while she's taking it so that no harm can come to her.

Our parents aren't on here much partly because they are busy - as you'll understand - and partly because their children often start to lead normal, or near normal, lives once stabilised. It might help you to read some of their threads on the 'My child...' forum. This one is by the mother of a little toddler. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/forums/my-child-has-arthritis-f43/my-22-month-old-has-arthritis-t34708.html

Bank hols are usually quiet on here but please ask any questions you like on Living With Arthritis. I know our members will want to help with support.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bethliz
    Bethliz Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    Options
    Dear Bethliz, (and thanks Stickywicket)

Thank you for your post to helplines. Having a child diagnosed with arthritis is a lot to come to terms with. If you have any questions or might like some support please give us a call. You may be aware already that we are not medically qualified, so we'll try to help, but there may be times when you may need to explore some technical matters with medical types.

Having mixed feelings about disease modifying drugs is only natural. The best you can hope for is to make an informed choice based on good information.

Do see our booklets here: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/Booklets2

I hope that is helpful

Guy