Still getting nowhere

claircoult
claircoult Member Posts: 62
edited 17. May 2013, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi!

I haven't posted here in a while but I just needed to vent a little bit. I seem to have the worst luck with rheumys! I went to see my new one yesterday, and despite giving him half a ream of paper explaining how my illness affects me and how I flare up 2-3 weeks after a viral or bacterial infections he has decided on the basis of one examination and no blood tests that I have fibromyalgia.

I was so disappointed. He has completely ignored all the evidence and made the diagnosis based on the fact it hurt when he pressed really hard on my hip. He gave me a booklet about Fibro but I've already done quite a bit of reading about it. I might have a few tender points but I don't have the other common symptoms. I'm not depressed, stressed or anxious (unless dealing with idiot doctors! LOL!)I don't have sleep problems, I don't have widespread pain and I didn't have a physical or mental trauma that set it off. It just doesn't seem to fit me at all.

He explained what the treatments were and I explained that I've already tried them and they made things quite a bit worse for me. I also explained how diagnosis of fibro doesn't explain all my other symptoms or why my inflammatory markers are often raised but he said he wouldn't help me unless I agreed with his diagnosis, which I certainly didn't!

Am I asking the impossible? Is it too much to ask for a doctor to take my symptoms seriously and not just fob me off again?

The only good thing that came out of the appointment is that he's keeping me on hyddroxychloroquine which has helped quite a bit, but that's only because he can't dispute the previous diagnosis of Palindromic Rheumatism. Not sure what I'm going to do now though. The treatments for Fibro aren't suitable so I'm no better off than before. My husband thinks doctors are bad for my health! LOL!

Clair

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Clair :!:
    I remember you posting before :D

I don't know much about Fibromyalgia so can't comment on signs/ symptoms of that condition etc... but there are lots of folks on the forum who have a dual diagnosis who might be able to help. :wink:

Feeling that your doc has disregarded what you say is frustrating and disappointing to say the least! It does little to instil any kind of confidence..... and from what you've said, has left you feeling mis-diagnosed and your symptoms ignored.

Would there be any mileage in trying to see another doctor in the practice?

I do hope you can see someone else and at least get blood tests carried out..... and be listened to! :roll:

Iris xx
  • staceygrove
    staceygrove Member Posts: 2
    Hello, This is my first post as I have just really found this site. I have palindromic rheumatism (or palindromic rheumatoid arthritis) depending on who I talk to. I have also just been diagnosed with secondary fibromyalgia. Along with this I also have sjogrens syndrome. So all in all I am a bundle of laughs.

No really, I totally sympathise with your symptoms not being diagnosed. I get really tired and am constantly aching, Now my problem is not knowing which thing is causing all the aches and pains. I am on Hydrochloroquine (Plaquenil) and top dose of Methatrexate 25 mg weekly, plus I take co codamol and Naproxen 1000mg per day.

I am just going through the horrendous process of I think being pensioned off by my employer. Cannot blame them I have been off sick for 5 weeks in this period and had a lot of time off in the past. The worse thing is because I do not look ill, it is like they do not believe me.
    I have to have yet another occupational health meeting with a doctor who knows nothing about my illnesses. so how can they make a proper opinion. I feel very frustrated, so can quite imagine how you feel claire with not being diagnosed properly.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Stacey

lovely to meet you I too have had that label (Pallindromic Arthritis),used on me!!

That and inflammatory arthritist and just RA.

I am sure you will get lots of support on here it's agreat place to be. Sorry about work, so stressful, the people on here will really help support you thorugh it all.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Stacey. I just wanted to say welcome from me too. Between us, on here, we have a fair bit of knowledge and experience of the different forms of arthritis so I hope you'll find us helpful and supportive. There are some lovely, kind people on here. I'll look forward to seeing you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • staceygrove
    staceygrove Member Posts: 2
    thankyou so much for your warm welcome. I am really not looking forward to this OH meeting next week, as the next step is a meeting with HR to decide my future. All I want is to get my pension early as I have had enough of work and I am sure they have had enough of my time off. I am not asking for compensation, at the moment I feel like a teabag who has been squeezed, I am so fatigued and my blood pressure is so high with all the stress. Thank you for letting me sound off it is lovely to think there are other people out there who understand what I am going through.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    agree with Dorcas, if you can seek a 2nd opinion fro another Dr that will help you in clearing your head. It took me nearly 15yrs and several Dr's to get me diagnosed I hope you get sorted quicker.