Fusing Bones

Hexie
Hexie Member Posts: 3
Hello :) .

I put the telly on this morning just as Chris Beardshaw at Chelsea was saying that when he was 13 his joints were seizing up and bones joining together and he'd more than likely be in a wheelchair by the time he was 25 (IIRC). Now, as you and I know, he's a fit bloke ;) so there are obviously things you can do to try and prevent arthritis taking such a hold.

About ten or more years ago I was told that the pain in my foot was arthritis and not to worry as the bones would soon fuse and it would stop hurting. I was also told the same thing a few weeks ago when I went to the podiatrist, so they obviously haven't fused yet :? . When I was told that the first time I asked if it would be a good idea to try and prevent that by doing some kind of exercises and was told no, it's better to let the bones fuse. I've never had an official diagnosis - when I mentioned it to the GP he said it "probably was" arthritis.

My situation isn't the same as Chris Beardshaw's (I'm 47, Type 1 diabetic for 45 years) but I'm wondering now if there is something I could/should be doing before the bones do fuse to prevent it or is it still a good idea to let it happen? (I already do the basic arthritis advice of not smoking, gentle exercise, etc.)

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Hexie,

Thanks for your post to Helplines. I didn't see the programme on TV so am not clear what kind of arthritis they may have been mentioning. But in the case of your questions we cannot give individual medical advice.

If you are interested in considering the best possible self management it can be helpful to have an MOT by a physiotherapist or musculoskeletal clinic. Healthy eating to avoid becoming overweight is considered helpful, as well as doing plenty of gentle exercise.

here's a link about Arthritis Care's self management work http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement

If you have any questions or would like a chat, do give us a call on our helplines.

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • Hexie
    Hexie Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you :)