Claiming ESA for first time...help !!

nonaproxin
nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
Hi folks,
After being on long term sick with OA ,Disc herniation, Anxiety & Depression.
I have finally come to the end of my SSP .My employer has sent me a form to take to the job centre in order to claim ESA (which I assume will be the contribution based ESA as I have been in full time employment all my life ).

My question is will the fact that I am in receipt of a small monthly pension (from a previous employer) affect / reduce the amount of contribution based ESA I would receive, and does being in receipt of DLA benefit also reduce it ?.

I have never claimed before and I am not sure if it would be worth the hassle if they reduce the payment owing to other monies coming in.

And will I be asked to take the work capability test , even though I am still employed and intend returning to work if my health allows....

Thanks Eddy.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Eddy
    There are many posts on here about ESA just have a look through them
    You say you have a small pension from previous employer I don't want to know how much but ESA may want to know
    I calmed ESA from 27/9/12 till 12/3/13 as my ill health retirement pension kicked in on 13/3/13 and they want their money back as they say I'm fit for work! DWP employ Atos to do their medical assessments at a cost of 394 million pounds so they can save a few thousand!
    As you can tell I'm quite bitter at the moment as I've worked 30yrs never ever claimed in my life and they want their money back when there are people out there who never ever worked never wanted to but could and get everything on a silver plate!
    It appears to me that us genuine ones are been penalised for the benefit thieves out there!!
    Saying all that don't let me put you off but just be prepared for a fight on your hands
    Keep strong and don't eat them bully you!
    Don't forget you can ring the helpline on here for some advice
    Maria
  • maria09
    Oh and Eddy yes you will be assessed no doubt about it!
    Maria
  • nonaproxin
    Hi Maria,
    You say that you claimed ESA from 27/9/12 till 12/3/13 .Then DWP say they want their money back as they say you are fit for work...where is the logic in that..you have qualified for ill health pension (I presume from your employer)....how can they claim it back ...Sounds like I am in for some fun and games ....Your right we folk who have worked all our lives seem to get a rough ride when we try and claim anything...

Eddy.
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Hi eddy,
    If you only claim contribution based your income has no bearing on it at all your entitlement is based on your ni payments - so long as they're up to date and u have a fit note from ur doc you'll get it for 13 weeks then the DWP will assess you physically for any longer claims, is only if you apply for income based that they will consider things like pensions etc. Clue is in the name!
  • maria09
    Oh Eddy,
    They can they are a devious bunch of b******s
    They say I'm fit for work but necessarily the work I was doing as it was a very demanding physically and emotionally and why can't I work just because of the pain!!
    Would have thought working all my life never claiming a penny paying my taxes etc would mean something but obviously it doesn't!
    Maria
  • nonaproxin
    lizzieuk1 wrote:
    Hi eddy,
    If you only claim contribution based your income has no bearing on it at all your entitlement is based on your ni payments - so long as they're up to date and u have a fit note from ur doc you'll get it for 13 weeks then the DWP will assess you physically for any longer claims, is only if you apply for income based that they will consider things like pensions etc. Clue is in the name!
    Hi Lizzie,

Errr got your "clue in the name bit " , but I had been told different, eg,that any pension would be counted as income.....so I am going to sound even more stupid now......if after 13 weeks you are still not employed, and get assessed for any longer period of claim, do you then get assessed under the income based ESA , and is it at that point your payment would be reduced if you are in receipt of a Pension...SORRY TO SOUND THICK , BUT I have never been out of work before in my life ..I am nearer 60 than 50...and had to google to find where the nearest jobcentre is...thats how street wise I am......Eddy.
  • nonaproxin
    maria09 wrote:
    Oh Eddy,
    They can they are a devious bunch of b******s
    They say I'm fit for work but necessarily the work I was doing as it was a very demanding physically and emotionally and why can't I work just because of the pain!!
    Would have thought working all my life never claiming a penny paying my taxes etc would mean something but obviously it doesn't!
    Maria
    Hi Maria,
    IT OBVIOUSLY COUNTS FOR *HIT ...People who have worked all their lives should not be treated this way..but this latest period of fiscal squeeze is having the effect that everyone who is claiming any kind of Benefit is demonized , and labelled a bum , or scrounger, and seemingly treated as such....if you have just arrived here in the UK however, you are given plenty of help and even get an interpreter to assist filling in Benefit forms......DON'T GET ME STARTED....
  • lizzieuk1
    Hi eddy,
    Sorry if I sounded offensive with my 'clue is in the name' was meant to be a joke, I know the systems ridiculous and impossible to understand I think they hope it will put people off!

So your q about after 13 weeks. They assess you and put u in the wrag ( work related group) or the support group, when in either u will get extra money on top of your original 13 week amount, so far as I know if u were under contributions based u stay under that and just get the extra £ appropriate for the group ur put in. Is a matter of only about £5 between the 2 groups.
    So if ur assessed for contribution based ur income will still be irrelevant. If ur on a low income and think u may get some extra then worth asking for that to be assessed too. If u go on the DWP website it tells u the criteria for being eligible to apply under income based, is worth applying if u are as can mean reduced council tax, help with mortgage etc etc.
    Hope that's clear for u, if in doubt u can call DWP and clarify they can be helpful at times!
  • maria09
    Well have you seen that programme called Skint
    It seems that if you have 5 children your 21 never worked you get £1,600 a month in benefits!
    That's where we have gone wrong hard working all our lives and they don't want to pay £71 a week!
    Thank god I payed my superannuation for 30yrs and get a not bad pension otherwise I'd be scuppered
    Maria
  • lizzieuk1
    Dont get me on my soapbox i may never stop ranting! And the government wonders why the country is skint. honest its not the reason teenagers get preggie and have 5 kids they dont want to be on benefit blah blah blah how dim is our government or rather how worried about being pc are they god forbid they should upset the scrounging gits!!!!!! Sorry rant over. i did warn u!!!
  • maria09
    Lizzie
    My sentiments exactly
    What happened to freedom of speech seems to have disappeared you can't say anything without getting shouted down and hear you can't say that! Well yes we can we have worked all our lives kept within the law and our thoughts mean nothing! How did that happen?
    Maybe we should have a rant forum as I'm sure many would love a good rant
    My son rants on twitter about the owl that keeps him awake at night think in that instance twitter is the right choice as birds do twitter :lol:
    Oh dear how bad was that?
    Maria
  • nonaproxin
    lizzieuk1 wrote:
    Hi eddy,
    Sorry if I sounded offensive with my 'clue is in the name' was meant to be a joke, I know the systems ridiculous and impossible to understand I think they hope it will put people off!

So your q about after 13 weeks. They assess you and put u in the wrag ( work related group) or the support group, when in either u will get extra money on top of your original 13 week amount, so far as I know if u were under contributions based u stay under that and just get the extra £ appropriate for the group ur put in. Is a matter of only about £5 between the 2 groups.
    So if ur assessed for contribution based ur income will still be irrelevant. If ur on a low income and think u may get some extra then worth asking for that to be assessed too. If u go on the DWP website it tells u the criteria for being eligible to apply under income based, is worth applying if u are as can mean reduced council tax, help with mortgage etc etc.
    Hope that's clear for u, if in doubt u can call DWP and clarify they can be helpful at times!

Hi Lizzie,
    No offence taken...Thanks you for the information very helpful indeed...after reading the posts about the TV programme "skint" ..Maybe it's them I should be contacting..they sound as if they have every angel covered....
    It really does make you livid when you see these parasites getting everything...christ I worked for less than £1600 per month..getting up at 05.45 every morning...who's the mug I am inclined to ask myself...
    Cheers,Eddy