Alendronic acid

HARPER04
HARPER04 Member Posts: 34
I would be grateful for any help or advice I have had OA in my lumber Thorasic and Cervical regions of my spine and also in both of my hips and was given a Bone density scan which showed the OA has progressed to Osteopena for this the consultant prescribed Alendronic Acid tablets 70mg which I take once a week from 30/03 /13 since then my pain levels have gone through the roof especially in my lower back, left hip with pain in both of my legs so its becoming almost impossible to sit stand or lie down for any length of time I take Oxycontin and oxycondone total 130mg for pain relief along with diazepam but as I said my pain levels have gone through the roof
Do you think the Alendronic Acid tablets could have any thing to do with the increased pain level or is it that my Osteopena is progressing

Thank you for your time

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Harper,

Thank you for your post to Helplines. I wonder whether you'd like to call us about your enquiry? I'm wondering if two different conditions are getting things somewhat confused - we'd be happy to listen and try to help.

It it possible to have back pain as a result of osteoarthritis, but you are mentioning osteoporosis tests and medication as well, and these won't treat the arthritis. Often peoples' pain is more often associated with arthritis, so if you'd like some support about pain do feel free to come back to us. If you think some further information about pain would be helpful please take a look at our booklet 'Coping with pain' - here's a link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

So to recap we can offer you support and information about arthritis, but cannot give you medical advice. If you decide that you'd like some more support about the osteoporosis side of things we can signpost you to the National Osteoporosis Society instead (tel. 0845 4500 230).

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • HARPER04
    Am I confusing two separate things here I have been treated for OA in the spine and hips for the last 10 years for which I was given pain killers as I said
    Now here is where I am getting confused after a blood test I was sent for a bone density scan which showed a density of 5% in my back and 12% in my hips and was told I had Osteopena and was prescribed Alendronic Acid tablets

Are these two separate things ?
    I am confused
  • HARPER04
    Ok confusion solved
    OA osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis caused by inflammation and breakdown and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints
    This is what I have in my spine

Osteopenia is a separate condition where bone density is lower than normal and is considered as a precursor to Osteoporosis
    This is what I have in my spine and hips and what I take the Alendroonic Acid for
    My confusion was that I thought OSTEOPENIA was a progression from OA
    if I have caused any unnecessary worry by confusion I apologise

Best wishes to you all
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    HARPER04 wrote:
    Ok confusion solved
    OA osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis caused by inflammation and breakdown and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints
    This is what I have in my spine

Osteopenia is a separate condition where bone density is lower than normal and is considered as a precursor to Osteoporosis
    This is what I have in my spine and hips and what I take the Alendroonic Acid for
    My confusion was that I thought OSTEOPENIA was a progression from OA
    if I have caused any unnecessary worry by confusion I apologise

Best wishes to you all

Dear Harper4

Thank you for your posting as many conditions have similar names it can often be confusing and I am glad that you have now found some clarification around this.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Harper

I am a member of the forum. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I have problems with my spine hence having a dexa and being diagnosed with OP. I was prescribed AA but it did not agree with me. I now take another drug and am fine on it.

Osteopenia refers to early signs of bone loss that can develop into osteoporosis. With osteopenia, bone mineral density is lower than normal. However, it is not yet low enough to be considered osteoporosis.

People taking alendronic acid AA) sometimes get an inflamed food pipe (oesophagus), a sore throat and difficulty swallowing, or aching muscles and bones. Chest pains or worsening heartburn should be reported to your doctor.

So to answer your question the AA could be worsening the pains in your back etc. I would report back to whoever put you on AA. There are a number of other drugs to try.

You also need to take enough calcium and Vit D daily to make the med work properly. If this is not possible in your diet etc or you do not get enough sunlight there are meds that can be prescribed.

I have found the following forum helpful:

http://www.nos.org.uk/forum/

I wish you well,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.