Any tips please

matmil182
matmil182 Member Posts: 5
edited 15. Jul 2013, 18:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (about 6 months) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how they deal with this condition. Thanks in advance

Matt

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Matt,

That's really bad news, I'm sorry to hear it. Management depends on where disease activity is up to but generally keeping as fit and healthy as your condition allows helps. Hydrotherapy can help you strengthen muscles and joints. Day to day adaptation depends on how you work, for instance, if you sit at a screen all day then try things like a wobble cushion to keep you a bit more mobile and have regular breaks where you stretch and move. Is there anything in particular you want to know about? Arthritis diseases are tricky to live with, you tend to have to make hay when the sun shines and hunker down when things are bad. It can put strains on relationships so I tend to be quite open with those I live closely with and admit when I feel rotten rather than bite their heads off which I sometimes did when things first went wrong! Inflammatory arthritis such as AS are usually managed with anti inflammatories and disease modifying drugs (DMARDs). Are you on either and have you been seen by a rheumatologist?

LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • matmil182
    Hi thanks for the reply i wanted to know what people do to relieve pain in their daily lives i sometimes use a hot water bottle to try and ease the pain.

I am currently taking co-dydramol for pain and take meloxicam and lansoprazole for anti inflammation.

I am married and have a very understanding wife but sometimes i get frustrated and come across as rather grumpy.

Matt
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I think we all do the grumpy bit but pain gets you that way. It's not always easy to connect mood with pain until the grump has set in though...or is that just me?! :oops: I find coming on here can help, we're always ready to listen to a good rant or moan because we've all felt that way! My husband tries to be supportive but sometimes he just doesn't understand whereas the good folks on here usually do.

I use wheat packs as well as hot water bottles as they tend to be easier to mould to where you need them, warm baths are good too if you can get in and out ok. Moving as much as possible sounds counter intuitive but helps shift the inflammation a bit. Distraction helps me too so I listen to music, other people play computer games or do puzzles as it takes their minds away from the pain a bit. Sadly the pain doesn't go away but pain dullers can help. I quite like acupuncture when I have a joint that has gone into spasm and you can often get access to that through a physio referral who might also be able to help you work to strengthen everything which also helps. I'm sure there are more ideas but my brain is half baked at the moment. I'll keep thinking and post as I come up with other things.
    LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, grumpy, I know that feeling well. :wink: I am currently beyond tired but I will return tomorrow to give you my thoughts (for what they are worth). I remind myself on a regular basis that my troubles are not my husband's fault, ergo I don't need to grump to him (or anyone else in my 'real' life). That is one of the joys of the forum - we can grump to an audience that understands our exasperation and frustration. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • matmil182
    I agree it's difficult for people to understand the pain involved with arthritis even on my good days i have a constant ache, i also have a constant limp which makes me feel insecure.

I will have to try a wheat pack thank you :)

Matt
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Please googlebingaskjeevesetc 'The Spoon Theory' and 'There's a Gorilla in my House'. Both explain the difficulties of living with a long-term illness and can be helpful for those who live with us and our disease. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • matmil182
    That's great thank you