Arthritis worse in this heat?

ali87uk
ali87uk Member Posts: 17
edited 29. Jul 2013, 17:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am26 and was diagnosed with PsA last year.
I'm on depomedrone and amitriptyline but am struggling recently with the pain :( I've seen physio and chiropractor but still not helping!
Can't really have too many painkillers as have to work!
My Pilates instructor said today that arthritis can be bad in extreme temperatures, I thought it was only cold!
Any ideas or thoughts appreciated x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes I am another one that suffer in the heat ..and much more than in the cold....people are so different with this blinking arthritis..by the way I have OA....hope you get some relief very soon....you are doing the right things with Pilates..it will help keep the joints supple without more damage x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Yes, counterintuitive isn't it?

I think many arthritics are suffering with more pain in the heat. I think it's an additional insult. Don't we suffer enough in the cold already? The best weather for me is bland fall weather, no storms, no heat, low humidity.

I haven't heard a scientific explanation yet, although it seems to have disproved my doctors' theory that I would be miraculously cured if I moved to a hot climate :roll: . Maybe the bodies' attempts to cool itself are also proinflammatory, or perhaps it is just an additional stress that causes this. Mine is PsA too and even minor stress always provokes symptoms :cry:

Hang in there, you are definitely not alone with your extra pain right now.

((()))Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My PsA is kicking off beautifully thanks to this heatwave, joints which are not usually too troublesome are being pesky plus my tiredness levels have shot up, all this despite my triple therapy. High pressure can increase joint inflammation, a number of us auto-immuners have been posting with complaints about the heat. Osteo arthritis is more usually a trouble in the colder weather but even so some of our osteos have been suffering too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Of course!! DD is right: high atmospheric pressure in hot weather, just like low pressure during rainy weather, would cause joint pain.

Now, could DD please explain why I can be so thick sometimes :roll: ?
  • dreamdaisy
    Hon, it's the heat, it makes us groggy-minded as well as groggy-bodied. :wink: DD
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    I'm suffering too. This heat is absolutely flaking me out (I am an OA sufferer) and the pain levels are sky high too. Am finding I can hardly do anything at all. Hope you are all not suffering too much - I feel like screaming with the pain!

Beryl
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Another one who is utterly, totally and completely miserable in the heat. :( I can't remember the last time my joints were this swollen, maybe pre diagnosis? Bring on the cooler weather please but no extreme temps either!

Feeling everyone's pain. x
  • dreamdaisy
    Beryl, go get a pillow and scream into it - it's therapeutic and doesn't scare the neighbours. DD

PS Hello Starburst, it is utterly miz, yes? DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Mine is OA and I'm finding hands and feet really painful( a fair amount of dropping and hobbling!), but muscle problems caused by my scoliosis are easier - you win some you lose some. The heat doesn't suit my gut problems though, partly I suspect because of the rapid throughput of fluids.
    Ah well, this is Britain, we have weather rather than climate so in due course there'll be a change, and reading the posts here I am aware(and thankful) that I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • Christimay
    Christimay Member Posts: 112
    I can honestly say I've suffered more this summer than any winter I can remember, swollen hands feet so swollen I can't get shoes of any kind on sandals trainers flats its been a nightmare as for tiredness I can hardly keep my eyes open I'm on steroids at moment but still struggling its RA I have but any help would be much appreciated x
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Hating the hot weather too!
    awful!!!!

I can cope better with the snow.....get organised...online shop good film and get cosy for a few days!

But with this heat....more pain and really dont know what to do with myself!
    Ruby
  • Boomer13
    Yes, it's the heat messing up my mind :wink: and the joints!
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    I always feel like Goldilocks of 3 bears fame : it's too hot , it's too cold , I need it to be just right !
    Jillyb
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    The heat has been messing with my head and body, swollen joints and pain! Glad it seems to be cooling down a little hopefully everything will correct it's self to normal trouble!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The reason I haven't been on here much lately is because, by the time I've finished doing fewer household chores than usual, I'm so tired and achey my brain has gone to mush and I don't trust myself to say anything helpful or even coherent.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Sticky, this is a first for me to read a post of yours that contains the smallest hint of a rant :D

Sorry to hear everyone is suffering so badly.

Even I had hopes of an extended pain holiday dashed with a knuckle, ankle, neck flare. Oh well, still better than how it was a few weeks ago. I just can't figure out how feet and knuckles can be ice cold, sweating, and the rest of me boiling hot. The brain is always a mushy mess, past it's best before date I think.

I find myself mentally leaping ahead effortlessly to fall, traditionally a less-pain season for me.

Sending cooling thoughts to everyone 8)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I too have been struggling with the heat. I have OA multiple weight bearing joints and lumbar spine. My joints swell quite magnificently in the heat - it's becoming my party trick to get colleagues to gently push a finger in the mushy bits that are my knee and ankle. They don't half go green quickly!

Believe it or not at work lately I've sat at my desk with wet paper towels over my arms in an attempt to cool down. Whether it made a physical difference or not I'll probably never know but I felt cooler.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    When I first saw a Rheumatologist over twenty years ago he asked me this very question and I told him I always felt worse in summer. I think in winter it's easier to put the electric blanker on, heated pan on neck etc etc but in this awful heat you can't really do that. Anyway, I've always been a winter person, I love winter clothes etc. Can't wait to get the fires on, lamps lit and get all cosy with a good book, heaven!
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi Ali,

If you aren't already I'd suggest asking about a slow release pain med as they're much less likely to cause you spaced out type problems for work :) I use Tramadol SR without side effects. I hope that may help. Of course the usual paracetamol & an anti inflammatory would be advised, I'd assume ure already on those tho?!

I have PsA, OA & Fibromyalgia, the heat is driving everything potty ... Actually I think it's our sticky humid heat thats my biggest problem as a dry heat is usually more helpful to me :?

I hope the cooler weather will give you some relief.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • ali87uk
    ali87uk Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for all your replies
    I'm a bit better now not so hot but I am so tired!
    I think for me need to work out best pain relief, the amytriptaline was only on 5 mg every other day as made me sleepy but I have been in agony so am trying 5 mg every day now, 10 mg and I was a zombie!

Paracetamol and anti inflammatories don't seem to help me much, at one stage with a bad flare was on amytriptaline, naproxen and co codamol and still in agony!

Bit depressing as am only 26 :(
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Co codamol never touched me either, They just spaced me out ... Horrid meds, I like the ones I'm on now!! I take tramadol slow release & they do actually help, not always but far more than the other stuff ive had!!

Im on 125mg of Nortriptyline, thats for depression & fibromyalgia symptoms, they certainly dont help me sleep tho :?

Have a chat with ure GP, they should have medication options for you. Good luck.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Pain is same but the sun keeps me in a happier mood, the heat does make me tired though which usually makes things worse, I can't do things for as long before having to rest.