Keloid scars on knees

freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 30. Jul 2013, 07:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys & girls

Hope your all coping (as well as can be expected in this heat) xx

It seems my knees are slightly "Keloid" scarring, red/raised/itchy & bumpy.

I have been prescribed some silicone sheets to stick on the scars.

Does anyone have any experience of these ??
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't heard of them before. I'm glad uve been given treatment tho :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    I've heard using cream for stretch marks are supposed to help another is I think bio oil but might be making that up
    I suppose there are many many creams out there that claim they work but who knows
    Best to stick with what they give you
    In the old days hospitals used silver nitrate but I'm sure it's banned now
    I'm lucky I have good healing skin me wounds to my feet have healed nicely
    So I'm sorry I've been no use to you what so ever :cry:
    Let us know how you get on with the silicone strips
    Maria
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Hi Freesia,

Sorry to hear you have this problem as I know how difficult they can be, both to treat and live with too. After surgery I developed a keloid which over the course of a year grew quite large. I was referred to a plastic surgeon and given a series of steroid injections into the scar. At first these injections were at about 8 weeks apart and then after about a year the time between each injection was increased. My last injection was 2 years ago and the keloid has not returned. The scar now looks quite normal :)

My advice would be to really monitor your keloid scar and if you find it getting bigger, seek futher help. Itching is a sign that the keloid is active.
    Hope this helps and I hope things are sorted soon :)

Catie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Freesia

I had not heard of this before so googled as it I am inquisitive.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/skin/Pages/Keloidscarring.aspx

I thought the video on skin camouflage was very interesting and gives hope to people with this problem as least it did to the lovely lady featured on there.

The comments below the video may be of interest to you Freesia.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Freesia, is your diagnosis of 'slightly' keloid from a medical practitioner?

The problem of treating keloid scarring is extremely problematic. In the majority of cases silicone gel sheets will make very little difference. Silicone gel applied twice a day for at least 2 months 'may' make a difference though. The gel hydrates the skin, protects it from infection and 'possibly' expels cells that promote scar growth. However, your GP would not be able to prescribe it and you would need to consult either a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. The majority of keloids are injected with steroids, but again this isn't always effective. Sometimes a plastic surgeon will incise them, but the problem is that they are likely to return.

The 'fresher' a scar is, the more you can do about it, as well established scars are very difficult to treat. So, my advice would be to seek a second opinion if possible. I wish you luck :)
  • freesia
    Hi guys & girls...

My Keloid scars were noticed by my consultant & hence my GP has now prescribed the silicone sheets to try out...

So guess I'm lucky to get them on prescription....
    I need to keep them on anything from 12-24 hours a day, can remove when bathing and replace again after as they are re-usable for upto a week... they feel odd but not uncomfortable.

As I've caught the scars early the sheets will need to be used anything from 3-6 months....

I'll see how I get on....
    At least at this early stage - they are not itching at the moment and wearing trousers is abit more comfortable xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi

I had hypertrophic scarring from my TKR - in other words Keloid scars. I am white and was merely told that I make too much scar tissue.

I too tried the silicon gel sheets but had to buy them which cost an absolutely fortune. Although my scar is still white and wide, the raised issue has gone. It did take several months though so be patient.

With regards to plastic surgery, if you've got one keloid type scar what would happen if you had surgery to remove this scar? I'd be wanting to know what the results would be likely to look at and ask loads of questions first.

Good luck with this - remember to persevere with the gel.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • MrOptimist
    GraceB - hypertrophic scarring is 'not' the same as keloid.
  • maria09
    Mr O
    I'm afraid you are technically wrong they are similar but keloid is said to be more raised if you don't believe me Wikipedia it
    Ps was a nurse for 30 years
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I thought that hypertrophic scarring was more internal and didn't exceed wound levels whereas keloid is external and can - is that right? Either way both are unpleasant to deal with and live with, my thoughts go to both Freesia and GraceB. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Catie
    I was told by the Plastic Surgeon who treated me for keloid scarring that it is not the same as hypertrophic scarring.

Maria, that article you suggested MrO reads actually states that keloid scarring should not be confused with hypertrophic, because they are quite different.
  • maria09
    Dear all
    heres the definition of the two types of scars off the NHS website

hypertrophic scars – red, raised scars that form along a wound and can remain this way for up to five years
    keloid scars – caused by an excess of scar tissue produced at the site of the wound where the scar grows beyond the boundaries of the original wound, even after the wound has healed

Hi Fresia hope the silicon sheets work for you
    Let us know how you get on with them
    Maria
  • Catie
    That definition doesn't say they are the same Maria.
  • maria09
    Catie I'm not getting into an argument on someone else's post it's not fair on them
    But what I did say was similar not the same
    I could get technical but won't
    Maria
  • MrOptimist
    Maria09,

No I'm not 'technically' wrong and neither is my son who is a consultant dermatologist. I offered advice based on sound medical knowledge and do not wish to argue or debate the matter. I'm sure as a nurse of 30 years you will have 'some' medical knowledge, but on this matter you are wrong I'm afraid.

Hypertrophic and keloid scarring are both abnormal forms of scarring, but they are 'not' the same.
  • maria09
    MrOptimist wrote:
    Maria09,

No I'm not 'technically' wrong and neither is my son who is a consultant dermatologist. I offered advice based on sound medical knowledge and do not wish to argue or debate the matter. I'm sure as a nurse of 30 years you will have 'some' medical knowledge, but on this matter you are wrong I'm afraid.

Hypertrophic and keloid scarring are both abnormal forms of scarring, but they are 'not' the same.
    I said similar not the same
  • MrOptimist
    When I told GraceB that keloid and hypertrophic scarring were not the same, you kindly informed me that I was 'technically' wrong.
  • freesia
    CHILLAX guys & girls........... :roll:

Didn't want to start WW3

But as an update:- "early days - yes I know" but the silicone sheets feel good, like my knees are being cuddled, and comforted :D

So i'll see how they go, guess I gotta use them for 3-6 months....

Take care all and play nicely.
    hugs freesia xxx
  • Catie
    That is good news Freesia :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That is better news, Freesia, and I hope things continue to progress in this positive direction. Keep us updated, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    Hi
    I'm glad they are working long may they continue
    Maria