Work After TKR

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
Hi

I had a TKR nearly 10 months ago. Those who know me will know I havent worked since 2010 as my knee got so bad it restricted me to what i could/couldn't do.
I now have the problem of seeking work now, I have ticked the box as I am nearly there, still have issues with my quad muscles/going up and down stairs. I have to date had 3 interviews all cos I ticked the box. Have travlled a round mile trip of 600 miles as I am moving to highlands of scotland from cumbria this year. I always got told not to mention my illness unless they did. Sure enough last week had interview at raigmore hsopital and they aksed why i had requested interfview on level ground with not a lot of steps, it was obvious why I had asked this but it made me feel very uncomfortable and I didnt get the job as I tried to explain my knee and asked them not to see it as a negative thing.....I have the problem now where I always get the standard phone call back "your'e great, we have no doubt u can do the job but you didnt get it on this occasion.....Or it was a real close thing but sorry"...All this is soul destroying and I know others are in same boat so please don't berate me for feeling this way.
I am fed up I need help with answering modern interview questions and have tried through DWP to no avail.....Why is it so hard when i want to work? Why is it okay for women who have had children then after a break of five or so years off they get work no probs.......Im struggling hard here....

Elainexx

Comments

• elainebadknee
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow why did I bother posting 29 view and not one letter uttered...
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Sorry to hear that you have not had any luck with the jobs/interviews. Did you ask for post interview feedback, in more detail perhaps , so you can have some constructive advice for future interviews?
    I am not sure what else to suggest, sorry but wish you lots of luck for the future.
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi NB

I have asked for feedback every time and i get the standard answer that it was a close thing and I did very well but not well enough...I would say to anyone thinking of ticking the JIG box don't cos it gives you false hope....I am personally sorry I travelled 600 miles, studied hard in terminology and presented myself smart for these two interviews.

Thanks for reply

Elainexx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    It must be very disheartening to go through all the preparation and travelling and not get anything positive from it. I have been sceptical about ticking the box, as I often wonder if it just helps employers to be able to say they give people with disabilities a chance :roll:
    I would look on the interviews you have had as good experience if you have not had interviews for a while and hope the right opportunity is round the corner for you :)
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    NB

Well the last one i went for they told them i was really nervous but then they asked me why had i put on form "please have interview on ground floor with not a lot of stairs" It made me feel very uncomfrtable and i had to then explain my TKR which had been told not to mention unless they mentioned it but it was a self explanatory question if they read my application....So it went down like a lead balloon....I also turn up for interviews in white shirt suit, others seemed to be wearing mini dresses and copious amounts of make up!......I will never again tick that box...

Elainex
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Just noticed your post I've not been on here for over two weeks
    Had issues that needed sorting out
    Any more luck with the interviews?
    I must admit I've only had 3 interviews in 32 yrs last one 27 years and got all 3 jobs I'm sure interview techniques have changed
    The thought of having an interview makes me feel ill!
    Good luck for future interviews
    Maria
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Maria

No luck they interview you out of courtesy if you tick the box but you are never a serious candidate....I had to complain about last one as had put in can interview be held on ground floor or no steps please? They questioned that at interview and I felt very uncomfortable....After call from HR it turned out inexperienced personnel had interviewed me and they apologised but still no good to me...

If i'd had 2.4 kids I would be taken seriusly not so the case if ill...

Elainexx
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Just noticed your post I've not been on here for over two weeks
    Had issues that needed sorting out
    Any more luck with the interviews?
    I must admit I've only had 3 interviews in 32 yrs last one 27 years and got all 3 jobs I'm sure interview techniques have changed
    The thought of having an interview makes me feel ill!
    Good luck for future interviews
    Maria
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Can't you borrow a couple of kids? Would lend you mine but at 19 and 17 it wouldn't help your cause
    What type of jobs are you going to? Any where you can work at home
    Luckily now I've got my ill health pension I don't need to work although as you know DWP and Atos think I'm fit for work!
    God knows what I'm fit for though need one where I can work for 20mins rest for an hour or 2 work another half hour then have a snooze No can't think of one!
    Keep plodding along and hopefully you will be lucky
    Maria