Hip Replacement Operation - What to expect?

Options
Lizzy54
Lizzy54 Member Posts: 3
edited 27. Aug 2013, 14:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am 54 and am to due to have a hip replacement in November 2013, my choice to delay for personal reasons and I would like to know what to expect when I am in hospital (5/6 days) and for the 6 weeks or so after ie., will I be able attend to my personal care within 24 hours or will I need help in using the loo etc., I would really appreciate some advice as I am quite concerned about this aspect, silly I know. Thanks

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I'm afraid I have no answers for you but I'm certain other 'in the know' will be along soon. I just wanted to wish you well with ure THR :)

(((hugs))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello Lizzy

I had my hip replacement in 2010 aged 58 and I too was worried at how I would cope. Most hip replacement patients need items like a helping hand to pick things up from the floor and to put your knickers over your feet, a suitable height and supportive arm chair, a toilet seat which clips on to your existing seat or one on a frame. I couldn't get my knee high support stockings on or off by myself and hubby had to do this for me, but all other aspects of personal care were absolutely fine. I did have trouble lifting my foot over our shower frame as it has quite a high step, but soon cottoned on to the fact that it was easier when using my crutches. However, your hospital physio department will give you leaflets about what you will need and some loan out any necessary equipment.

I would suggest that from now until your op, it will be a good idea to keep your muscles toned up as far as possible, as this aids your recovery. I ask for a physio appointment and was given the correct exercises which helped.

Good luck with your op in November.

Janet
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I had my first THR about 3 and a half years ago and have an appointment in Oct to see the orthopaedic surgeon about getting the 2nd one done.
    You Physio department will supply all the things you need.

The loo.....you should be provided with a seat and a frame that fits round your toilet so that should be OK

You will have "passion killers" on for most of the 6 weeks.....elastic type stockings for legs. Hubby had to help me because you are not supposed to bend down for the 6 weeks at least...not even from a sitting position to reach for a cup of coffee on a slightly lower table :o

If you don't have a chair that is suitable {I had 2 large settees} they provide you with one

Slip on shoes are the best for that period.

Slightly bigger knickers is what I was advised on the forum incase of swelling.

I was given 2 sticks but also a trolley so that I could walk over to the trolley, put the sticks down and push it into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee if hubby wasn't about. It was great.

Sleep on your back for 6 weeks.

Make sure everything is at a level you can reach before going in.

Dry shampoo.........so you don't have to wash your hair as often as you normally would :lol:

Sorry...I've rambled.....if there is anything specific you want to know just ask or pm me

Love
    Hileena
  • Izz
    Izz Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Lizzy,

I had both of my hips replaced at once when I was 21. Before my operation I was very unwell- underweight, unable to stand for very long, constantly exhausted and had severely restricted movement in both hips.

Obviously my recovery was a bit different to how yours will be, but I was out of bed in two days (it would have been sooner but I needed a transfusion), discharged in 10, off my preliminary restrictions after 6 weeks and given the all-clear 3 months later.

The hardest thing will be the psychological battle- you can feel frustrated, fearful, impatient, un-sexy and sorry for yourself! I wanted to let you know that it will be worth it. Try setting yourself little goals for each day. Stay positive. Stick religiously to the advice you are given. Keep your perspective. Every day is one step closer to getting your life back. :-).

Five years later and I am a different person; healthy, strong (relatively), independent, pain-free and really mobile in my hips and not a day goes by that I am not bloody grateful for plucking up the courage to have them done. I have been able to complete my Masters, I work full-time and am now planning to go back for my PhD. So I guess you can expect to work hard and then get your life back! :-)

Best of luck for the op!

Izz