Advise needed re ill health retirement

Options
millymolly
millymolly Member Posts: 14
I have worked for local government for 24yrs some of this was part time. I am 44yrs old. I have RA, sle, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and just had my 2nd major operation in 5yrs and ended up with another flare. I was off sick for 5mths. Returned to work 2 weeks ago and sent to oh doctor. I saw him today. I work 30hrs which I chose to reduce to as I wasn't managing. He is suggesting I cut more hrs and go to 24.
There are a number of factors here, and decisions to make and I feel really confused. My manager says my job cannot be done on 3 days so what happens there.?
Shall I ask for ill health retirement? Does anyone know what my chances are getting the tier that says unable to work again? In local government it is tier 1. How bad do you have to be? So confused.....

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I got ill health retirement in March from the NHS it took 8months to come through
    Mine was tier 1 think that's different to yours its my tier 2 where you never have to work again and that's very difficult to get
    Mine was bad enough you need evidence from everyone I got mine from the occ health doctor who supported my case, my GP,my orthopaedic consultant my rheumstologist ( who wasn't supportive at all told me he could cure me!) so his last letter thankfully was after all had been sent to Atos and not included
    I also put in every return to fitness interview with my boss and the HR dept my risk assessment from them and fact that my hours were reduced to 16 hours over 2 days
    Anything else I thought would help my case
    I and another friend got our ill health but 2 others never even got a chance to apply as Occ health doc didn't feel they were ill enough to get it they both have had their contracts with the NHS terminated due to the capability c**p policy that's in place
    Last 4 yrs at work were hell but I won't start on that as I'd end up writing a book
    Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions you think I may be able to help you with
    Maria :)
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi
    I have severe RA, age 44, worked for local government for 10 years, 3 and a half years (in total) off sick. In march I asked for ill health retirement as I physically couldn't work anymore. My rheumatologist was very supportive, as was occ health, etc. After a couple of meetings and a medical I was given tier 1 ill health retirement, where it is expected I will never work again. I got a lump sum and weekly pension and all went without any issues or problems. I think they were pleased to get rid of me...... Long story. However, I am very aware that for most people it is very stressful and not everyone if offered ill health retirement, tier 1, 2, or 3 as Maria has already stated.
    I must stress I was and still am very poorly with RA and have tried most available drugs, I am now being referred to a professor who helps develop new drugs etc.
    Good luck, hope all goes well
    Les
  • millymolly
    millymolly Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for info. I don't think I will get ill health retirement . It looks like I have no choice and accept the reduction in hrs. Hopefully ..
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Milly
    Reducing your hours is a start and it does really help
    Mine were reduced from 21 hours down to 16 hours a week
    So I did two 8 hour shifts a week splitting them up so I did not have to work two consecutive days so gave me chance to recover
    I managed this for 3 years until 18 months ago when I realised that was enough I couldn't physically or mentally continue in my job as a staff nurse on a really busy ward so the long process started so applied for ill health last June and it took until march this year getting ill health retirement yippee!
    For me it was not an easy journey but had the full support of my GP, Occ health Dr and my lovely orthopaedic consultant, my evil ward manager was nasty and evil through out but luckily I even had the support of a senior HR lady and I only dealt with her as I told her I would not deal with my ward manager I even gave her my resignation normally that's done through my boss
    So I'm now free to plod on in my own little way
    Hope I've help a little
    Best wishes
    Maria :)