Needlecraft anybody?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 5. Oct 2013, 08:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've been trying to limit my knitting/crochet to prevent my hands/thumbs from becoming too painful. However, I promised to knit my son a pair of socks for Christmas (I'm a slow knitter!) and I'm also in the middle of crocheting our granddaughter a blanket. I made a mistake on the socks yesterday and first of all thought I would be able to bodge it. But, of course, I kept seeing it and it bothered me so much that I eventually spent the whole afternoon taking stitches back one by one (it's on four needles). I'm suffering for it today, as my thumb is quite sore, and I've got to take back another few rows yet!

Just wondered if anybody else crafts in any form? I used to cross stitch and do a little Hardanger, so thought I would go back to that for a while as it might be easier on my hands. I've also booked a day course on patchwork at my local yarn shop - so looking forward to that.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Meg
    I wish I could i used to enjoy needlework but my stupid fingers even make sewing on buttons a nightmare task
    Maria
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I like patchwork and embroidery. I also hate using sewing machines so like to stitch everything by hand.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Grr! Composed a long post and then found I'd been timed out so lost it all. Did mean I have learnt something else about using this site though so not all bad I suppose.
    I am increasingly doing knitting, although my hands make me clumsy at times, and am trying various sewing bits as well. I've managed some simple embroidery for lavender bags and babygros, and am planning a patchwork project with old shirts, machine pieced rather than hand stitched though.Recently I completed a quilted play blanket for my GD - fleece fabric with a bright design of electric guitars and drum-sets on a black ground, with a plain terracotta cotton back. Not at all baby girl, but the instruments her father likes playing when he gets the chance, and shouldn't show the dirt too much! The pleasure outweighs the discomfort, and since I'd have sore bits whether I was crafting or not I might as well keep going.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Knitting and Crochet
    they are my hobbies, but as time goes by and struggling with hand, wrist and finger pain, it is difficult I have to say.

I have a sewing machine still and used to (many many years ago) make my own clothes, but out of the question - too fiddly.

Love to see hand made items.
    Kath
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Tapestry for me....if I get time.

Recently invested in a daylight bulb - what a great invention :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • Megrose489
    I've got a stand with a daylight lamp, Toni and it's great. I couldn't manage without it.

I'm learning that it's all about pacing myself with knitting/crochet - something I'm not very good at, I'm afraid.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I was rubbish at all needlecraft long before I could use arthritis as an excuse. I knitted only when pregnant. My Dad took up tapestry in his '80's as rehab after his first stroke. He was quite good at it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    My husband did cross stitch when he was ill with depression a few years ago and was really good at it, too. We've got two large designs of his hanging on our walls. It was a form of therapy I suppose.

Meg
  • frogmorton
    I have some of my Mum's tapestries too Megrose I treasure them :D

Well done your husband
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    My sewing interest started at 15 years of age when I left school to be trained as an alteration hand. Later in life I've learned machine embroidery and now class myself as a textile designer. My hands aren't great but better now that I've had a carpol tunnel procedure. I find it easier to machine than hand sew and am hoping I won't have to give up on it as I truly love making things. I haven't patch worked but who knows it may be one for the future.
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    I love machining I'm a textile artist now and I hope to carry on for many more years. I make my own clothes, handbags and craft items. I haven't got into the patchwork quilting though, too fiddly for me.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    At 63 I have just started to learn how to knit...trust me with sore hands..but it is so therapeutic..I did used to crochet but gave that up..I am very interested in the daylight lamps I was wondering how good they are.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Hi Barbara,
    I bought a floor standing lamp quite a few years ago and wouldn't be without it. It has a magnifying glass attached and also a clip to put patterns etc. It's great to use just as a reading lamp too. I'm very happy with mine.

Like you, I didn't start knitting until I was over 60 and taught myself (from books and Youtube) how to knit socks. Great fun and there's some beautiful sock yarn around. I find it very therapeutic, too.

Meg
  • frogmorton
    barbara12 wrote:
    At 63 I have just started to learn how to knit...trust me with sore hands..but it is so therapeutic..I did used to crochet but gave that up..I am very interested in the daylight lamps I was wondering how good they are.

I love mine Barbara and it's also a floor standing one like Meg's :D

love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Brilliant thanks Meg and Toni I have just seen one in the coope** mag..and its a floor standing one... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    hi Barbara I definitely agree abut knitting being therapeutic. had to check my spelling before posting this although the grammar/spelling police are no longer about thankfully.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    I do knitting cross stitch and make my own greetings cards I tend to have periods where I concentrate on one the and then all of a sudden I decide its time for a change. :lol:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    I have bouts where I go cross stitch crazy and complete several projects and then I forget about it for a while :)
  • jt58
    jt58 Member Posts: 14
    Hi

I used to do lots of knitting crochet etc but had to give it all up. Took up painting instead, you should see my version of the Mona Lisa!
    Still can’t do crochet but I have found that by using bamboo needles and thicker wool I have been able to start knitting again. I do take rather a long time to finish anything but even just making the odd scarf is enjoyable.

I did buy a sock kit before Christmas and haven’t started it yet, looks quite tricky and a bit fiddly.

Any more projects on the go?

Jane
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    I used to love doing tapestry but I had flare ups in my hands every time so in the end so gave all the stuff to my sister.

A couple of years ago I started making my own greetings cards, but I got bored with it and haven't done any for a long while.

My concentration doesn't last for long and then I get bored.

(note to self, snap out of it)
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • snowdrop123
    snowdrop123 Member Posts: 41
    I went to some patchwork classes with my mum last year, she is a keen quilter and it was really nice for us to do something together. Since my health problems started it's been difficult for me to do much more than the basics for myself so I'm really glad I made the effort to go to the classes with her. She's in her 80's and has just started a City and Guilds qualification which can be done on-line.
    I've been sewing since I was a child and I used to make my school skirts with my grandmother, in the summer holidays. I have made alsorts including 15 x 15 foot UV sensitive backdrops, clothes, costumes etc. (the list is endless).
    My daughter is carrying on the family tradition and she works for a small sewing company and loves it.
    I don't do much sewing these days because of the aches and pains (just getting the machine in situ is too much) so I generally only make the odd practical thing like a blind or a curtain or two. I like hand sewing but the hands aren't great and my vision isn't good either so I have to pace myself and try not to over do it. I have a daylight lamp too and this is a big help with my rubbish vision.