good and not so good news...

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 30. Sep 2013, 15:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
My first grandchild, a girl, was born this afternoon, a couple of weeks early but at just over 6lbs a decent weight. However it was an emergency c-section and my DIL has apparently sustained some internal damage which is having to be investigated. Son sounds OK now but said there was a bad period in theatre when he wondered whether either or both would survive. Baby doesn't have a name yet, but I have heard her squeaking and am hoping for a picture soon.
I'm beginning to feel a bit battered on the emotion front at the moment - too much bad stuff happening to loved ones - and the old bod is beginning to object. Never mind, this will pass. I think perhaps I need to put Mother Julian's words above my desk - 'All will be well' etc

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Congratulations Daffy, I can understand your emotions running high, I am keeping fingers crossed(trying to) that dil and wee one are doing ok keep us informed how things are going.............tc....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Congratuations!! I hope your DIL recovers well.

Best wishes to you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh daffy, what mixed news! Your poor son must have been distraught. I do hope the damage can be repaired simply.

I'm sure the little one will be OK. 6lbs is a reasonable weight. As for you, you really have been through the mill what with sisters and now dil. No wonder the joints are protesting with all the stress. I hope things will be a bit smoother from now on. I'm sure all the tension will drain away when you hold uour little granddaughter.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter. My elder son was born by emergency c-section, 7 weeks early, weighed 4lbs 12ozs, and is now a strapping,healthy, 6ft tall, 40 year-old. So, 6lbs is good.

I hope that your DIL is soon on the road to recovery. Take care of yourself. Thinking about you.

Meg
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Congratulations daffy, and I do hope your DIL recovers well and your son isn't too stressed now, NOW, you need to give yourself some TLC, stress can cause all sorts of horrid things to us.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh daffy...many congratulations on the birth of your new Grandchild..but I am sorry it has been so hard for mum and everyone else come to that..I will be thinking of you all and I do hope your dil makes a full recovery....now please try and get some rest...(((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Congratulations to you all. The baby is well and that's the main thing.It could have been so different. Sadly my sister's little boy only survived for a few minutes after an emergency C section.

I'm very sorry that your daughter In Law has suffered from some damage and hope that she will recover to enjoy being a new Mum,

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, that is a mixed bag indeed, I am so sorry. I hope that all is going well with both the baby and your DIL, I am keeping my creaky fingers crossed. Make sure you look after yourself too, please, I am sure that you are feeling the effects of all this so please do what you can to stave off the worst. I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    Thank you all very much for your good wishes and loving support; it is much appreciated.I have no more information today other than a terse text saying 'we are recovering', so am having to remind myself that no news is good news. I occupied myself last night with adding embroidery to a couple of small size onesies and sorting out a couple of other tiny items. I only took ordinary 0-3months items when I visited last week but I think they will be a bit baggy on her. I've had great fun in the run up to D-day scouring the (plentiful) local charity shops for baby clothes and have a lovely selection to choose from, and have been able to put together some cute little sets, plus knit some cardis and hats to accessorise.
    This evening's task will be sorting out some train/ticket options so I can be ready when it's time to visit.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope everything is well with you and yours,bet you're excited about seeing the baby. Mig
  • daffy2
    Some happier news. My son called a little while ago to update me, and it would seem that DIL is OK apart from the C-section wound. The damage they suspected from what they were seeing had not in fact occurred, although it took a while to get the all-clear, hence the lack of news I think. Baby (soon to be named I gather) is feeding well and making her views known when DIL doesn't come up with the goods!
  • stickywicket
    You've just put a smile on my face, daffy. Thank you. I'm so pleased all is well. That's excellent news. How's Gran? Frazzled?
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    That's brilliant, Daffy. So pleased that everything is going well.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    That is much better news, I hope you feel reassured. I guess she will take some time to recover from the C-section but hopefully she will be a sensible girl and take her time. What sort of name would you prefer for your grand-daughter? Something traditional or more modern? I know that some of the 'old' names are coming back into use, which I think is lovely. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    That's great news Daffy, I am so pleased that mum and baby are doing well, here's hoping you get to see the family soon...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • daffy2
    I've got a picture! She's a cutie but it is a bit disconcerting that the expression on her face is the spit of my ex, her grandfather! I shouldn't be surprised really as his side of the family certainly leaves its mark on subsequent generations.
    Elizabeth - it's always hard when a baby doesn't survive so I feel for your sister- with all the advances in medicine there tends to be an assumption that everything can be fixed but sometimes it just ain't so. 2 colleagues highlighted the fact that all the fuss around the Royal baby made their own losses this year particularly hard.
    Sticky - Gran isn't too frazzled but rather OD'd on adrenaline! As you know there's other stuff going on and on top of that I had to get shirty with my employer's payroll dept due to a mistake that's left me out of pocket with no way of recovering the money involved(only a small sum but important nonetheless), and also send off a stiff letter to the solicitors supposedly dealing with my mother's estate.
    DD - as to names I don't have to worry overmuch. Trendy, weird, or just plain daft are definitely not on the list thank heavens. DIL didn't seem to have much preference, or family names to contribute, and so is happy enough to sort through what son is suggesting, which leans towards Greek deities and others from the classics. I know they will make sure that the initials are acceptable - a surname beginning with K needs care! I had a penchant for Phoebe, but I know it's not that.
  • stickywicket
    A Greek deity? Oooh, daffy, I've never known the grandmother of a Greek deity before :lol: You've got me re-living the birth of our first grandson now. Wonderful stuff. We got at least one photo per day. With luck, yours will grow out of her grandfather's looks and inherit her grandmother's personality. Adrenaline? Ah yes. Wonderful stuff - while it lasts.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Daffy Thank you for your kind words. It was a long time ago but you never get over it. he's still a new born baby in our eyes and always will be. I'm just so glad you and your Son and DIL didn't have to go through it. I'm pleased your DIL is on the mend.

One of my Daughter's is named after the daughter of a couple of Greek deities and love that your Son is leaning that way. Can't wait to hear what his final choice is.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    It's a couple of days further on now, how are things going with baby, her mother and grandmother? DD
  • daffy2
    Mother and baby seem to be doing fine thank you DD. They are home now so getting into the swing of things, including coping with a suspicious house rabbit!
    Granny is busy sewing a couple of crib sheets and planning the sight-seeing trip, but had a bit of a wobble on Friday. I suddenly started thinking for some reason of all those loved ones who can't see the latest addition to the family because they are no longer alive, and how much I miss some of them.
    Fortunately I had work on Saturday, so company and distraction.
  • dreamdaisy
    That wobble is entirely understandable - I am having those too over different matters and yes, it is distressing that those who would love to be joining in with the celebrations cannot. I am glad that they are both home, is your son able to have some time off to be with them? (I am not clued up on paternity leave matters etc.) DD
  • stickywicket
    ((())) Oh daffy, newborns do arouse complicated emotions in us. Company and distractions are both good but please don't wobble alone. We are by no means a wobble-free zone, either physically or emotionally, and sicking together does reduce the lurch area somewhat :wink:

I sewed mine's cot sheets too. In the SW 'waste not/want not' tradition they subsequently became pillow cases.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    DD, son has the 2 weeks statutory paternity leave but is now negotiating to add some of the 4 weeks leave he is owed. DIL can manage in the flat as it's all on the one level but getting out isn't possible without help. Son's work is humming and hawing because they are short staffed( as he warned them months ago would happen unless they bucked up their ideas on recruiting a replacement for his assistant) and don't have anyone to cover his post, but his boss is rather pro-baby apparently so there might be a satisfactory outcome.
    Sticky, 'You'll never wobble alone' doesn't fit quite as well to the tune but the thought's much appreciated - this is one of those times when the solo life can be rather challenging - so online well-wishers are precious.
    PS. I'll pass on the 'sicking' together if you don't mind.... although I suppose in a way it's right!
  • stickywicket
    :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    A quick update - I have just been down to the Great Wen to visit baby. The past few days have been a bit of a rollercoaster for them with DIL having to go back into hospital on Wednesday night to have a high temperature dealt with which meant IV antibiotics and various other things. Son distraught and in tears on the phone - oh so difficult to deal with as the mums amongst you will know.However they are all at home again now, baby has put on an impressive amount of weight, especially considering all the upsets she's had to face.
    I am somewhat wiped out at present.....and have daughter and solicitor matters to deal with tomorrow.