enbrel and rhinitis

jt58
jt58 Member Posts: 14
edited 21. Oct 2013, 14:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi just joined the forum for the first time - hope someone is out there. Have been on enbrel for quite a time and have developed problems with rhinitis , doctors not really interested but it gets me down. Anyone had a similar experience.

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes, I had it. I tried some nasal sprays on prescription. I don't miss it now I'm off the drug.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I had rhinitis for years (it was like year-round hayfever) but as I am now on a triple therapy it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much. Many mnay moons ago I took part in the clinical trials of B*conas* . That wasn't fun. :( Chat to your pharmacist about possible remedies but ensure you tell them about enbrel. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I started with it about three years ago. I've never done enbrel and had already been on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for years so can't blame them. My GP prescribes a steroid nasal spray. If I keep up with it I can reduce the dose to once at night but, even so, I try to stop it regularly as it's still steroids. Sometimes I can leave it off for about three months before it returns.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jt58
    Wish I’d been told about this site years ago - I’ve been feeling very low and it’s very difficult to talk to family and friends. I started with ear and nose problems after being on infliximab infusions and am now on enbrel. The consultant and Doctor don’t seem to think the two things are connected, I’ve tried anti-histamines -tablets and spray, 2 other sprays, nasule caplets , salt water solutions but have had pain moving around my face for the past month and going down into the top jaw and teeth. Its not really acute but waking up every day with the gnawing is started to get me down. My teeth seem to be on edge all the time so I find I don’t want to eat any thing hard. Have been passed back and forth from gp to dentist. Gp seems to be in favour of inhaling steam. Perhaps I’ll have another go with the gp next week. Thanks for the input.
  • stickywicket
    I think one problem for those of us on immuno-suppresants is that we tend to blame either the disease or the meds for everything. There may be no connection.

You posted about rhinitis and I replied about my own rhinitis. However, I've never had ear problems or pain in my face or teeth with it. Any jaw pain I've had has always been due to the RA/OA.

If there is another GP in your practice it might be worth getting his/her opinion, especially if they are young and relatively newly-qualified as they're often more clued up than older ones.

Might it be worth trying a mouth guard for sleeping? If you are clenching your teeth that could account for the pain. A friend's dentist made one for her daughter.
    Steven Wright
  • jt58
    Thanks for the input - i have been away for a while - the dentist is referring me as he is puzzled by my list of symptons, so we’ll see what happens. I’ve already tried the mouth guard and was told that RA in the jaw is very rare....
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Hi, I've suffered with Rhinitis for years, long before I acquired RA. I use a steroid spray when necessary, which is a lot of the time.
    I also have RA in my jaw, and I'm pretty sure quite a few people here do.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    RA in the jaw is not that rare, it's those who don't have arthritis who seem to think it might be (experts that they are). Your jaw is a moveable joint (strictly speaking there is a view that the human body has up to 300 or so joints I think) and RA (or any form of A) can crop up in any of them. And does. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    Sorry I cant help , but like you say its much easier talking to us than it is to family..you take care.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    jt58 wrote:
    I’ve already tried the mouth guard and was told that RA in the jaw is very rare....

I wish :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hello & welcome,

I really hope you find a way to help ure sinuses etc The members seem to have given you some good advice already, they're a gold mine of experience & helpfulness :D

I'm not taking anything for my PsA (Psoriatic Arthritis, an autoimmune type as is RA) at the moment but my Dentist has confirmed I have it in my Jaw. I also have Osteoarthritis (OA) but she said it's definitely the autoimmune one.

Good luck & I look forward to seeing you posting more :)

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x