Advice with work

Natalie09
Natalie09 Member Posts: 6
Hi

I've had arthritis for about 18 years and I'm 25. I haven't been in work for a while and recently just got a new job. It's with children and I enjoy it but I'm finding it really difficult. It's casual hours and only a small amount of staff at a time. I have arthritis in my knees, fingers, wrists and recently my ankle has been so sore to the point where I can't really stand on it. Ive been thinking about working from home, might be easier on my joints? Sorry it's such a long post. I don't know what to do and when I talk to my friends they keep telling me to push on and get on with it. But it's so hard. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. :cry:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Natalie. It's lovely to meet you yours is not a long post at all so no need to apologise.

Well done on getting a new job in the current economic climate. You must feel proud of yourself and rightly so. It does sound rather a physically demanding one though. Do you get plenty of opportunity to rest on the days/times when you're not working? Was your arthritis under good control before you started work?

I presume the friends who are advising you to knuckle under are non-arthritic friends. It's hard for them to understand how things are for us.

I don't think any of us can tell you what you should do on the job front but, if your arthritis isn't currently under control, might it be best to ask to see your rheumatologist again?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Natalie09
    Natalie09 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks :) Yeah my friends don't have arthritis, I don't know anyone that does. It is demanding and when I think I have a day off I get called in or asked to do more hours and if I say no, I feel like they aren't too impressed with me even though they are aware that I have arthritis. I was thinking about making an appointment. Are you on any painkillers? Or anything that helps with the pain?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's a difficult situation. Have you considered downloading some of Arthritis Care's booklets/leaflets to show work what it's like for you? And you could also try googling The Spoon Theory and There's a Gorilla in My House (the latter from a disabled blogger) to explain to friends.

It must be hard if you can't plan your work owing to being called in unexpectedly. Your GP could help with pain relief but the stronger ones will make your work harder. I aim to take as few as possible but it's a personal thing.

If you re-post on the Living With Arthritis forum I think more people will see your thread and you'll get more viewpoints. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Look at Access to Work especially if you've just got the job, they help people with disabilities of any kind, make work easier by getting equipment in etc.

Have a read. I've had Access to Work help and it's been a huge benefit to my arthritis and my other disabilities that I've got.