Problems at College

BluesWalk
BluesWalk Member Posts: 48
Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post for this; I guess I am just looking for opinions or advice on what I should do?

I was signed off work for over a year and wanted to try and get my life back together after my diagnoses. My options were, work part time or attend College full time (3 days) .So I chose to go to s College course full time, which entitles me to recieve travel expenses. By default, you are given the equivelent of a weekly zone bus ticket for the area surrounding the College, unless you live further away. Due to my arthritis, I am unable to make the 1 hour 45 min journey on the bus (this includes 3 buses and waiting time, does not include getting to bus stop). I got a letter from my Doctor stating I would have to take my car as the journey would be over 3 hours a day, which is unsuitable after returning from long absence being signed off. I handed in my claim only to find that because of the pence per mile they give (18p), I am actually 200 pounds worse off than other students who don't have the disability. As you can imagine, travelling 90 miles a week costs more than the weekly bus ticket, I found it unfair that because of my arthritis I recieve less money and it makes my learning harder.

Sorry for the long story, but would really apreciate your thoughts on the matter! :) thanks so much

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    In the time that I have been a member on here many of us have come to the conclusion that being disabled is an expensive business. There are the concessions we have to make to the disease (in my case replacing perfectly good household tools and kit with lighter versions) plus the expenses of buying aids such as sticks and rollators. Then factor in the costs involved in employing cleaners, gardeners, decorators plus paying for meds and BBs and yes, life becomes expensive. Have you applied for DLA? Nowadays no-one is guaranteed to be granted it immediately but if it is awarded it could help with fuel expenses.

The only words of consolation I can offer are as follows: hopefully your studies will lead to qualifications which will mean you are able to get to a better-paid job. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BluesWalk
    Yeah I guess you are right. Good job I don't smoke or drink a lot :) Thanks for your reply
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I used to smoke but only Gauloises. These were sold in the one proper tobacconists in the town, handily placed in a totally no-go zone for parking so I gave up! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Not sure if this only applies to when you are employed but my sister in laws employer only pays 25p per mile so she is able to claim back a certain amount from the government. I think she says upto 40p per mile but don't count me on that.

I can ask her for more info if it helps.
  • BluesWalk
    I think its like, I understand other college students want to take their car and not get public transport but I either take my car or I can't get to College. With 18p per mile I am loosing money when you factor in wear and tear and I just feel there should have been 2 allowances, one for disability and one for convenience.
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    But you may want to look into it as you may be able to claim the rest of the mileage from the government, that is what my sister in law can do, that's what I was trying to say on my last post to you, so actually you may not be out of pocket.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    If you apply for DLA/PIP you will be entitles to a free taxi to and from college/university. I take advantage of this when I'm in too much pain to drive.

I don't think there is any limit on the amount of miles they will pay for, my university is 18 miles away from my home.