Injected meth-a bit nervous!!!!!!!!!!!

dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 6. Jan 2014, 02:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just hoping some of you might be free to hop into my pocket around 10.15 tomorrow as I'm going to the rheumy dept to start injected methotrexate. Needless to say I'm more than a little nervous-hope I can master it :madnoel:
The tablet form has really helped my RA, but makes me feel yukky, so the rheumy nurse suggested trying injections instead- I currently lose 24 hours to an upset tummy and feeling thoroughly miserable and have got to the stage where I dread taking the pills because I know how I'll feel for the next day.
Hope you've all had a good Christmas- we had a lovely family day yesterday, but by bedtime I was completely wiped out with sore hands and feet show for all the time spent in the kitchen! Being married to a vicar the last 2 weeks have been manic but very special, now I'm just weary and looking forward to a few days of peace and quiet with my lovely hubby.

Deb x

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'll be there Deb. Pocket duties are about all I can do post Christmas dinner.
    Hope everything goes well ((()))xAnna
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Good luck for tomorrow, I have been on Injection meth for nearly 12 months now. Honestly you will be so proud when you do that first one, and rightly so.
    I lost 2-3 days a week feeling yuk with the tablets so I can understand how rough you have been feeling. I have been so much better with the injections, so fingers crossed you will be too.
    I know what you mean with the overworked hands and standing, still its worth it. I have family coming on Sunday so I am so grateful to have a willing helper....my hubby. :lol: Just have to let him know he's on duty :wink:
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    good luck with the injections , they work alot better than tablets if you get on with it

taking folic acid 6 days a week helps with the side effects from MTX ,
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I'm late dibdab..I do hope it goes much easier than you expect...and then some rest for you...I can imagine how busy life was with your hubby...so glad you have enjoyed it all...I really do hope the meth brings you great relief..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    Thank you for the encouragement- so today the nurse told me all about it and did the jab to show me how- next week I get to try for myself- but it was so painless I'm sure I'll be okay once I get my head around it. 2 hours later I'm feeling fine so I hope it will do away with the tummy problems.

Sadly today I've got a really painful left wrist and hand, so I'm hoping it will settle quickly, but I've dug out the splints, ladled on the diclofenac gel and now my lovely hubby is taking me out for lunch so I haven't got to do anything in the kitchen. I really am so lucky to be surrounded by family who care :D .

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You enjoy your lunch Debs....you deserve it..hopefully it will kick in soon and your hand will improve...I was terrified of injecting myself...but like you say the needles are so fine...let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi dibdab, really wanted to wish you good luck with the injections.
    I have been on meth for a few weeks now, I must admit that the elbows and wrists are starting to calm down, and the shoulders too.. although I did have a mini flare with the wrists yesterday and they are still hurting..
    I am feeling really sick though, and like you, I have started to not enjoy meth Wednesday as it's known in my head :madnoel:
    I still feel a bit yucky today from last Wednesday....
    I am going to stick with it as long as I can though as I am sure it will help and hopefully the nastiness will subside soon...
    I dunno how long I am expected to feel sick before they try the injections but I know its early days for me yet.
    :xmas_mrgreen:

best wishes and Yorkshire Blokey Hugs from me
    xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dibdab
    Thankyou all for your support and encouragement. I'm happy to report that apart from a couple of hours of mild nausea I've had no side effects from the meth injection on Friday- so I'm feeling much better about learning to do it for myself, mind you I might feel a bit less confident on Friday when I'm due to try for myself :o .

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and enjoys the New Year festivities.

Deb x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi dibdab
    after a while you will get used to them, im also on methotrexate inject 20mg
    weekly.
    I take 10 mg folic acid day before methotrexate,but lots of users take on
    other days and more.
    Tony do you take folic acid tabs day before methotrexate!
    happy new year to you all.
    mike26 :noel:
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Hope you're doing ok and manage the next injection well, is it this friday you're due? I've been on methotrexate off and on for a few years and it's great to have the freedom to inject yuorself without having to go to the nurse. Good luck.
  • dibdab
    Just reporting back- I did my own injection for the 1st time today, I was a bit nervous but actually it's easy and I feel much better for having the 1st one under my belt. I still have to do it 2 or 3 more times under supervision before they let me loose unsupervised.

I'm also really relieved to report that so far I feel so much better than on the meth tablets- no nausea or tummy upset, just a bit tired. It's such a blessing to approach methotrexate day without dreading the next 24 hours :) .

Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement. Happy New Year to one and all.

Deb xx
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Very very well done to you & good luck for your next trial runs - as a fellow mtx injector - have never had any major problems with the injections at all & that's after 3 years or so. I was lucky enough to be able to start subcut without taking the tablets & jumped at the chance. The first 48 hours or so waiting to see if I had a reaction were scary & you must have been so relieved to pass your usual feel-horrid-after-mtx point & not have your usual problems - fantastic. :D
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Well done dibdab, hope the next few go as well for you. You soon get the hang of it and it's actually easier when someone is'nt standing watching you.
    Best of luck. Ritwren