Hypermobility/OA

Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
edited 28. Feb 2014, 12:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all hope everyone is well as can be! Not been on here in a long time as I've been kept busy with my children and returning to work.
So.... I injured my wrist ice skating and had a physio appt today. He has diagnosed me with mild hypermobility syndrome, but also told me that my OA (which was diagnosed by X-ray, and having months upon months of physio) is not OA and is in fact my hypermobility? Anybody experienced this? Thanks x

Comments

• Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If he is right, that's good news. Hypermobility syndrome is common and can be a precurser to OA, but it doesn't have to be. I have hypermobility but no OA. I get achey joints often but they settle down very quickly and don't usually swell. I get xrayed to check for OA damage to the joints (wrist, ankle, knee) and I watch it closely. It does not give me too much trouble. I would much rather have hypermobile joints than arthritic joints. :|
  • Melrymax
    I'd be over the moon if it wasn't OA! :) I just don't see how he can say that straight off without looking at my history and I have X-rays confirming it? I hate this, I'd do anything to be normal,!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Normality is grossly over-rated, Mel :wink: Hi there. It's good - albeit bad - to see you again. From what little I know of hypermobility I'm sure Julie's right but it does seem very odd the way things have panned out for you. I think I'd have a natter with my GP if I were you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Thanks. Does seem odd doesn't it? Was thinking about a natter with the GP, I'll mention it the next time I go. I have had a little look into it and it doesn't appear too awful... But I now realise why my knees are bad when I am stood over patients helping with breast feeding!!