operation not as succesful as they think

goodlife
goodlife Member Posts: 4
edited 5. Apr 2014, 14:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had an operation on 2 November 2011, but despite them saying all went well I am constantly in pain despite being on gabapentin amtrichlin tramadol and neofapam also parectomal all this medication but still pain that is bringing me down every day have seen all these consultants but they all say that nothing has migrated with this operation. In other words you will have to grin and bear it as operation was a success.How can it be a success if I am still feeling worse than when I had the op.Can anyone let me know because I feel like I am going nuts as well.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I note you've detailed the meds but not the operation - we get all sorts on here! We may be better able to target our help and replies if we know a little more about the procedure.

In my experience pain never goes - the heavier the pain meds the more we are taken away from the pain, not vice versa. Pain can continue after an operation (as you know) because new joints do not guarantee a pain-free life, but they should contribute towards a better quality of life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Goodlife

I like your username. ;):)

I agree with you something does not sound right at all. I find it strange that you should be in such pain after an operation. I have never been and I have had quite a few of them. I have osteo arthritis. I wonder if you can let us know the op you had because then we may well be able to offer you more help. You most definitely have my sympathy

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Hello Goodlife
    Ah, that is prob my favourite TV comedy series!
    Ooh I do empathise, I think our back problem might be very similar.
    Can I tag onto your post and see if anyone else can offer us any help or advice?
    Did you have any relief at all post op? Has your back been X rayed post surgery?
    What sort of op did you have? I had a laminectomy 9 yrs ago, at the time of the op I had dreadful sciatica, I remember coming to after the op wriggling my leg and thinking 'it doesn't hurt', such relief!! But my back has always continued to hurt. I have a thoracic scoliosis which was never corrected, this has increased downward pressure on my small back and increased the wear and tear on it (so I was told, and it makes a sort of sense!)
    18 months later I had the screws and other bits of metal work removed, because they take up space, sometimes they are putting pressure on something that will cause pain. However it didn't make a jot of difference.
    I now have varying levels of pain in my back and intermittent leg pain on the same side as my new knee, it has got worse as I have wanted to walk more now I have a nice new knee. I have taken Gabapentin and slow release tramadol for a while now and I was comfortable on that if I just pottered round and could have lots of sit downs, but the situation has really got me down since having my new knee.
    A couple of yrs ago I had facet joint injections and then an epidural but neither helped. Have been seen in the pain clinic, they gave me a course of electronic acupuncture, but unfortunately that didn't help. I think they are tactfully trying to withdraw now and are not able to offer anything else.
    Since then I have learned to put up with it largely, I am grateful that this is not a 24/7 problem, but I resent feeling stiff & creaky and not being able to walk as far as I want when I want or being able to stand in a queue without resorting to bending backwards, forwards, side to side & getting funny looks!
    I am sure plenty reading this this are thinking what the heck have I got to complain about, but it's hard to not feel envious of friends and family who have non of these problems.
    Anyway, I'm going to see a physio recommended to me at the weekend, although I've tried so many different things over the years and given up, perhaps I haven't been conscientious enough, I'm looking forward to seeing him.
    Sorry to have taken over your post and written so much, it has been very cathartic.
    Love fiona
  • goodlife
    Hi everyone that answered or should I say posted a reply. The operation that I had was to my discs c4 - c5 and another which I cannot remember at the moment , but what I had done was through my neck it was a replacement disc two fusions and decompression of the spine. Unfortunately when I came to after the op my right hand was in no fit state to do anything and despite having physio I still have no actual strength in this hand and arm. The procedure helped me to stand upright a little more than before the operation basically that's all. I am saddened and disappointed as I am now bending over again which I am trying hard not to let rule my life, I am 58 years old but feel like a 95 year old in fact my aunty who is 92 is in better health than myself. I have always been a hard working individual but find now that despite everything I would not even be able to get up on time let alone work.
    Despite working hard all my life I had to fight to not only getting disability but also to get esa which was finally given by an appeal process for 3 years as a unanimous decision but I believe I should not have been in this position in the first place. :o
  • elnafinn
    Hi Goodlife

I may have had an op very similar to yours (through the neck). In September 2011 I had a C5 Vertebrectomy & C4-6 fusion. It took me two years until quite good improvement showed. I still fall when out but this could be due to other symptoms that I have ie scoliosis and the right leg 3.5 cm longer than the other. I have a lot of twitching and foot/leg jerking when at rest, since the op in one or other of my legs, the left worse.
    I am sorry that the op was not successful. I decided to have the op as my walking was beginning to be affected more so on the left side and also my arm/hand also on the left side was sometimes numb/pins and needles. I had the op to stop the spinal cord becoming any thinner in that area but the surgeon could not of course guarantee that I would be back to normal post op.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Hi again

I do stretching exercises every day and always have and I am sure this has kept me as mobile as I am. I have a bad foot at the moment caused by exercising :roll: so cannot actually go out walking so have upped my hooping and being on the exercise bike as that does not cause my foot pain. I am really missing my walking every day. I have stopped riding my bicycle for quite a few months now unfortunately as I have a painful shoulder. I started tai chi just before last summer which I enjoy.

I wonder if you exercise fairly regularly to help with your posture.

Elna

• Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Hello Goodlife
    I'm sorry about my lengthy post which wasn't a reply at all. I can't fathom out how to edit/delete, so it will have to stay put.
    Surgery does not always seem to be the solution, something can be a success technically or procedurally, but bring other troubles, like your weak hand and arm.
    Is Elna's suggestion, stretching and exercise worth pursuing, have you had any physio input or advice to build up strength?
    My brain tells me exercise has to help, but its not a quick process.
    I hope things ease and you find something that helps.
    Fionab
  • elnafinn
    Hi Fiona

A short time after one has posted one can edit/delete but when that time has elapsed to have a posting removed drop the Moderator a private message saying you would like to remove your posting giving a reason ;) and they do it for you.

Elna x

• goodlife
    yes have had physio and do some exercises but end up ready to sleep as what ever I do it seems to drain me at this moment in time. I use my walking stick every day and use electric wheelchair some days or I stay in. The knobbly lumps on hands fingers and palms I am told don't hurt but when I am using stick they do hurt me. Also at the moment I am waiting for an ultra sound scan as I am now having trouble with stomache so they want to see whats going on so fingers crossed. Any way we keep smiling with a goodlifestarting ho ho speak soon x. :lol: